shaking?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Rae1889

Veteran
Reaction score
Okay its been a bit bad for me on the seizure front lately. Can't even keep up with counting my tcs since the veeg. But I had one sunday, monday and maybe yesterday afternoon. I stayed home from work mon and tues basically cuddled in the bathroom on the floor because I couldn't keep anything down. Got tired of getting up. Brought my pillow and blanket with me in there and slept for the most part.

But I felt like I was constantly shaking. Like rapidly. Almost vibrating inside and out. Anyone ever had that? It was such a nusiance! Aside from that my muscles ached, my head hurt and my bones felt creaky. Just an over all yuck.

So what was the shaking?

Mmmmm, of

that I'm not quite sure, Rae. I could hazard a guess, and say it's another form of seizure, and it may very well be. But the best bet would be to talk to a doctor about it.

HOWEVER, on the other hand, you haven't kept anything down, either you said, so your body may be reacting to a lack of electrolytes/low blood sugar. You really need to get some food in you to start with, and go from there.

Also water. If you can't keep anything down you might be dehydrating.

I agree with what Meetz said -- the shaking could well be a seizure, but a doctor should probably weigh in. (I know you have had lousy luck with doctors, but the constant seizing really needs to be brought to a doc's attention). Make sure you are getting hydrated in addition to eating.

Are you on any meds at all, or did those end up being too problematic? Can you get a prescription for a short-term anti-seizure med like Ativan or Valium?

I often shake because of low blood sugar but the reason for this, I've been told, is that as it's usually in a work environment it's because the responsibilities there require me to "juggle all the balls at once".
However I always have a tube of Dextrose tablets in my suit pocket which tends to right the situ. fairly quickly.
There is another scenario, 'though, when it was suggested, to me, by my GP, that the shakes may well be down to a side effect of meds, coupled with the fact that, at work, I'm likened to a swan - ie; on the surface, all is calm, settled & collected, whilst beneath the surface, I'm paddling like buggery just to stay afloat!

Hi, Rae,

Oh, gosh - you are going through so much. It sounds awful. Here's a virtual hug <<<hug>>>

Yep, I get the vibrating, too. Or something kinda like it. Sometimes it feels like my brain is vibrating. Like there's a giant bumble bee in my head. It happens when I take Sudafed. Bad mix with my meds.

Sometimes I get a feeling that's a little different from a bumble bee. Some of this stuff is so hard to explain - it's so different from normal human experience. You know how high-tension electrical wires sound? You know that hum? Sometimes my whole body feels like high-tension wires sound. This is usually an aura. Sometimes it lasts most of the day, sometimes it just lasts a couple of minutes.

My doctor says the above isn't a seizure, it's stress. My opinion differs. My response to high stress situations is different than that. I think after so many years living in the same body I can tell what's stress and what isn't.

Rae, if it doesn't calm down, is there any way your doc could prescribe an anti-anxiety pill (like ativan)? It could kill two birds with one stone - give you a break from the stress, AND stop your seizures for awhile.

Sounds like you feel like you've been hit by a truck. Seizures can do that. Or if you are really lucky it might be the flu. There's a flu going around in the U.S. and I've had it. It gave me severe nausea, headache, muscle aches clear down to the bones. I didn't get a cold with it, but some people did.

Please be sure you are drinking lots of water. And eat a bannana, and some soup or something else salty, to replenish your electrolytes. I know you are having a hard time keeping anything down right now, but please try to drink and eat a little. Throwing up can really deplete your body.

Feel better soon.

I tried the dex4 tabs (glucose tabs) and it said to chew 4-5. i did the whole 5 and within 15 minutes, the shaking/trembling stopped, and some of the other symptoms went away. like confusion, sweating, headache, my pounding fast heart beat subsided and I could actually think, as opposed to just squishing sentences together hoping they made sense. plus, my seizures stopped.

what does this mean now? am I diabetic? I doubt it only because I didnt lapse into a coma or anything. but my seizures increased and i couldnt focus. I felt....drunk?

You should get a glucose test. Perhaps it will give some answers.

Request a 4-5 hr glucose tolerance test
It is the only thing that proved Rebecca's blood sugar issues.
Then it is somewhat difficult to find a doctor that believes it is a medical condition.
It is the one thing that has eliminated Rebecca's seizures.

I AM definitely diabetic and take insulin shots as well as AED's. My glucose has dropped many times and I haven't gone into a coma yet, nor are my seizures due to diabetes or low blood sugar. My glucose level has been as low as in 30's at times. When my glucose level drops, I do suddenly start shaking, feel lightheaded, and when it is that low, I am extremely confused until the level gets back up to 70. It is definitely a different sensation than a seizure. With a seizure, I don't hear anyone speaking to me, but when my glucose drops, I do hear and most of the time understand what is being said to me. I just know the difference.
My endocrinologist says what is the normal glucose range for me is 80-120 and my A1c level isn't supposed to be over 7, although lately it has been 7.5.

Back
Top Bottom