Should Epileptics Be Banned From Driving?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

As much as i don't like being home. depending on so many people to get me places. or using the bus if I need to, I feel like it's the better option to do that than risking other peoples' lives or my own by driving a vehicle and risk having a seizure. The thought of something bad happening to my kids because I am driving and have a seizure, no thanks, not worth having my enjoyment of freedom driving a vehicle. Their safety is more important to me.

Some people with epilepsy don't have auras before their seizures come. Some peoples' seizures are sudden. How would they know when to stop their vehicle?I would't risk it but that's just me, everyone has their own opinion and chooses what they want to do.

My complex partials occur w/o auras, so I am very happy that I had made the choice not to drive when I only had simple partials. The inability to drive is most problematic because I can't take my kids where they need/want to go. This often prevents them from joining or participating in activities.

Some people with epilepsy don't have auras before their seizures come. Some peoples' seizures are sudden. How would they know when to stop their vehicle?I would't risk it but that's just me, everyone has their own opinion and chooses what they want to do.

this is how things happen to me. But i do get a funny, odd, tingly feeling (maybe i am describing an aura...IDK) 20-30 seconds before so i do have some notice.

When i got rear ended and then tapped someone in front of me too, i had this happen.

So i was able to pull over and stop the car, put it in park, etc.

I have the same struggle too but we do have a lot of family in our location to get around. I just don't like asking them so much. Just hope they will get blessed by all the help they give us.

I think it should come down to a case by case basis.

I haven't been able to drive since 2014. Over here, it used to be a seizure free period of 6 months, it's now become 1 year.

Before 2014, I held my car licence and was even taught to maneuver heavy vehicles around our depot with one of my old employers so held a special ability.

If I make it to October with no seizures, I'll be eligible to get my license back minus the heavy vehicle aspect

people with epilepsy proberly best drivers they know what they have and being treated.IT damn morons that forget we 70 miles not 170.Skip the lights.NEARLY EVERY ONE on road today should not be driving Tonka toy let alone a car.Gawd honestly today everyone seemed have iq of turd...Driving words passed my lips non stop today

I agree there cannot be a blanket policy. While there is the sz free waiting period there is also the judgement of the doctor. I choose not to drive most of the time, we only have one car and my husband likes to drive. Mostly I ride my Harley. Right now I'm suspended because the doc unsuccessfully changed my meds, so I have to be stable, but I have only had a handful of events in my lifetime and live in a rural area, so I wouldn't want to be judged and restricted based on some legal opinion that has nothing to do with me or my situation. Luckily my doctor is very reasonable and logical about all this.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I made the decision not to drive while learning to in high school--at a time when I only had simple partials. I had one right before my last behind the wheel practice, & felt I never wanted to risk having one occur while I was actually driving. I began having complex partials about 18 years ago, w/o auras, & now I'm glad that I don't risk driving.

Back
Top Bottom