should I deal with this side effect?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I take Tegretol, Keppra, and Lamictal. The Lamictal is the most recently added but it was about 5 years ago. Anyway, if I don't take it after I've had a substantial meal, I get double vision. Recently dizziness has been added to to it and I get so off-balance that I can't walk without holding onto something because I'll fall. Thankfully it doesn't happen too often, but if I forget to take my meds and therefore end up taking them either without food or my next dose is too soon because of it, it gets bad with the double vision, scanning vision, and extreme dizziness. Is this a side effect I should put up with? Lamictal was a great addition as far as its effectiveness in preventing most breakthrough seizures, and I'm afraid I won't find another med that will work as well. I hate the process of switching meds.
Any advice?

Last edited:
I've found that whenever I've changed dosages with Lamictal I've experienced dizziness, even if the change is a tiny tiny increment. It sounds like you may be even more sensitive to any variations in your Lamictal blood levels. For that reason you might want to ask your neurologist about trying the extended release version of the Lamictal -- it could help even out the levels and absorption rate of the Lamictal so that you're less vulnerable to side effects each time you take a dose.

I just wanted to say, I know it's horrible to be dizzy to the point you have to catch yourself. I hope the advise Nak. has given you will help.

I wish I could add to her advise , but We all have to decide what we can tolerate.

I'd mention this to your neurologist ASAP. My son has been through similar issues recently, and he had to do a bunch of bloodwork to make sure nothing was seriously wrong. Double vision and dizziness are side effects that my son could not live with. If you are sure your issues are tied to eating, maybe you have to be more careful about the times you eat and take your medication.

Thanks, Nakamova- I will ask my neuro about the extended release lamictal.
Starburst- yes, I generally take my meds with my lunch because my breakfast is usually just cereal which I found is not substantial enough . But even with lunch I still have a problem pretty often, but it's usually a minor annoyance rather than a huge problem.

Back
Top Bottom