Should I take meds prior to EEG?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mejohn1

New
Reaction score
I'm curious to know whether anyone has had success triggering a seizure for an EEG by not taking meds prior. I have a sleep deprived EEG tomorrow morning and am thinking I won't take my meds tonight or in the morning hoping it will trigger one. I've had many EEG's with the results always showing up normal. Doctor says to take the meds as scheduled, but I'm thinking I'll hold off today.... thoughts??

I'm curious to know whether anyone has had success triggering a seizure for an EEG by not taking meds prior.

Only while in the hospital while under observation for brain surgery.

I have a sleep deprived EEG tomorrow morning and am thinking I won't take my meds tonight or in the morning hoping it will trigger one. I've had many EEG's with the results always showing up normal. Doctor says to take the meds as scheduled, but I'm thinking I'll hold off today.... thoughts??

Many times EEG results will show up normal for some with E. Holding off your meds today won't necessarily trigger a seizure tomorrow morning during the EEG. They usually want you in the hospital for an EEG for several days or a week for that to happen.

:agree:
Unless your neuro specifically told you to skip your dose, you shouldn't do so. Since the meds have a half-life where they remain in your system, skipping one or two doses wouldn't necessarily make a difference in terms of producing abnormal EEG.

If you are concerned about whether having a normal EEG will affect your diagnosis or treatment, you should bring it up with your neuro. In most cases a positive EEG is just used to confirm what the clinical symptoms already indicate. Many people with epilepsy never have a positive EEG -- their neurologists are able to make the diagnosis anyway.

Back
Top Bottom