Shrinking or Losing Height?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Dignan

Stalwart
Reaction score
Anyone ever found that their AEDs have indirectly led to losing height? Either from messing up various hormones or bone loss? I'm a 40 year old guy in otherwise good health, and I'm an inch, maybe a little bit more, shorter than I used to be...

I know it sounds paranoid or strange, but I get regular physicals and we've just noticed this since I switched meds 4 years ago (switching caused me all sorts of other problems with hormone balances etc.) And, I was switched due to mild bone loss.

Just wondering if this is all in my head, actually happening and related to AED usage, or actually happening and not related at all??

Feels like I'm assaulted from all sides sometimes..

Most people shrink a bit as they age -- even starting age 40! It's usually due to compression over time as our spine and other joints lose padding, and our muscles lose tone. Bone loss can also be a factor as well as things like diet, activity level and smoking. And genetics! So it might be difficult to tell whether you meds are playing a contributing role or not. If you suspect you are experiencing bone loss, you should ask your doc to do a bone density scan.

Nak, thanks for the reply..

I'm pretty active, and I get bone scans every two years anyway, since I already know I've had mild bone loss in the past. (Thats why I was taken off of Dilantin) That said the bone loss wasn't severe, but we switched drugs nonetheless.

I'd say I'm roughly an inch to an inch and a half shorter than I was 4 years ago.. depending on the day I measure. I do run alot, so maybe compression is an issue, but I just wondered about the drugs and the bone stuff, given the hormone issues I had once I stopped Dilantin.

Or, maybe I'm being too vigilant..

Dehydration is another potential contributor to shrinkage. If you work out then measure your height, you may be shorter due to a combination of dehydration and compression. Also, some people - regardless of exercise and/or dehydration - find they are shorter at the end of the day (being vertical leads to compression over the day) than earlier in the day. It would be interesting for you to track how tall you are at different times of the day, maybe.

I have lost 4 inches in the last 9 years. I have osteoarthritis though. I assume that has something to do with it. This happened between the ages of 41 and 50 (on Tuesday that is).

Wow, Penny that seems like alot of height to lose in such a short amount of time.

Did any of your docs have any opinion on what may be the root cause? Did they say osteoarthritis? I always thought that would cause pain and discomfort, but not loss of height..

My GP just said some peoples bodies age quicker than others. My neuro has said nothing and neither has my orthopedic dr. I forgot to say I was only 5' 2" inches to start. :( Same thing happened to my Mom and Grandma. My Grandma was only 4'11" at her tallest to begin. She only lost a couple inches. Its really hard being on these meds and so short though as they make you put on weight and on a short person it shows quickly.

Our bodies may be small...

but our spirits stand tall :)

Back
Top Bottom