side effects later on?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

aboizd1

Pillar
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Has anyone been on meds for a longer period of time and feel as though some of the side effects show up over time? 5 years later I feel more anxious then ever and feel like I go in and out of feeling depressed-where I never was like that before. I keep myself going but I feel different-anyone else?

I've been taking medication for roughly 500,000,000 seconds now...all I can say is that things change...whether that change is caused by medication or not..."good" or "bad"...things change as your body ages...for one your mind begins to perceive things differently...it's a slow process but it happens quickly over time...not to mention your body becomes more susceptible to change based on how those things are perceived...consciously or subconsciously...

If you want to reverse time you simply need to travel through the space of change :)

Last edited:
I was wondering about that recently myself, and I asked my pharmacist about it. He told me that there are two main classes of drugs where the side-effects can tend to show up after many years; statins and AEDs. He also provided me with some research papers which were entirely too academic, but in essence said the same thing.
So yes, they can show up after years. As MrE pointed out, though, lots of other things can change as well, and especially with anxiety and depression there could be other causes for those.

Carry on!

aboizd1, reading what you have to say and ask, I remembered a drug I used to take where I had issues that lasted for 5 years (really, it was 5 yrs, not what you have issues with). My neurologist had told me first that is should last 2 to 3 months, but it lasted 5 years. The funny part to me was that after these years, the normal side affect quit, and nothing in my life had changed prior. So I suppose it is as easy for the side affects to come after 5 as it was for mine to last 5 years until they quit.

For me it was lamotrigine, the med made my seizures worse than normal and that started 6-7 months after i started on it. I remember those seizures well, one took place at 9pm and the other took place at 10:30am. Both tied me up like a pretzel and the second one almost broke my neck had it gone on any longer.

Since that was the only drug I was on, i knew that was the problem, but since i was not maxed out on it, the doc increased it to the max dosage. Then i started having shortness of breath, thats when i demanded to be taken off Lamotrigine. Thats when the doc recommended Gabapentin, which to me is the best drug i've taken so far. I know changing drugs is difficult, but if it gives one peace of mind, then i think it's worth it.

:piano: :pop:

Back
Top Bottom