Simple partial seizure or Aura??

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I woke up last night seeing two different things:

First I saw a brightly colored area, tightly contained, maybe like a firework from far, far away, or even a woman's old broach (pin). that went away.

Then, I saw small wavy, moving, wiggling lines of light going from the top down, kind of like, confetti falling.

Is this a seizure?? I am still trying to sort out all of what is going on with me. My doc started me on topamax 2 weeks ago, I am only on 50mgs, started at 25mg.

Hi, Daisygirl,

Auras are seizures. And yep, it sounds like an aura. Be sure to keep track of it in your seizure journal.

What Endless said. Auras and simple partials are the same thing.

has anyone else had anything like this?

any the second light confetti wavy lines was white light only.

When I get lights it's more like a psychadelic moving pattern. Like an extremely simple mandala. It usually moves from the inside out. Sometimes I get shooting type floaters, but it doesn't look like fireworks.

This one is kind of close, but is a little too complex and doesn't have the right colors in it. Mine are brighter colors (primary plus purples, etc.)

http://www.seed-solutions.com/gregordy/images/Mandala.gif

I think the the original visual concept of the mandala came from a person who has epilepsy.

Mandalas in general:
http://www.google.com/images?q=mand..._enUS357US358&tbs=isch:1&sa=N&start=0&ndsp=20

Hi Daisy Girl,

I've had some unusual visual experiences, always in the morning and outside. My vision gets a little wavy, not too distorted, and only lasts for about 30 seconds. So far, it's been one a week for the last 3 weeks but it is something I haven't had before.
Neil

Endless,
the link you sent me...it is the pic that I saw last night....like an old broach!!What is a mandala? I can't believe that other people see the same thing!Now, please help me understand....it is a simple partial seizure?
thanks again :)

A mandala is considered sacred art in the hindu and buddhist religions. It's often within a circle, and it's kind of a repetitive pattern within a pattern. Some say it represents the universe, some say it represents the inner self. Me? I say it's a form of Fractal, which is a naturally occuring mathamatical pattern in nature. Fractal geometry governs the shape of leaves, ferns, snowflakes, as well as lots of other things in nature. I think it might also create the patterns we see in our heads when we have a seizure. It would be an interesting research project, but there's no way to take a photo of what we see in our heads. :)

Be careful of this link if you are photosensitive. Most of the page is okay, but at the very bottom (about 5 clicks down) there is a moving picture that could set some folks off. More about fractals http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractal

Addendum: Yep, it's a simple partial. Especially if it's in color. Some people with migraines see this, too, but it's usually in black and white.

Last edited:
thank you so much for taking the time to educate me on all of this! (side note, on another epilepsy forum, they told me an aura was not a simple partial)

I do have one more question....could this 'colorful light show' be a side effect of the topamax? I am only on 50mg right now, so I really don't think so, but I thought I would ask.

I guess, I have two questions, I tried searching auras, simple partials and visual mandala, light show, and I found very little. Do you know if it is common for people see the round color 'mandala like' lights??

thanks again.....hope you are feeling better on your med upped. Have your seizures stopped?

Hoping for a great day for you :)

Daisygirl,

It's really common for people with seizures to see lights in a circular pattern. Migraine sufferers get it, people who have seizures get it. And for us, it is a simple partial seizure. Per my epi, auras are SP's.

A side effect of Topamax? Anything is possible, but I'm thinking it sounds more like a classic aura. Glaucoma is a big concern with Topamax, but what you are experiencing doesn't sound like that. Do your eyes hurt? Do you see a multicolored halo around lights or other objects? With vision problems when on Topamax you should definitely call your doctor to be sure. http://headaches.about.com/cs/druginfo/a/topamax_warn.htm

I have only been on the topamax for a little over 2 weeks. My eyes do not hurt. I had my eyes checked yesterday for new glasses.....everything was good. So, I really do not think it is the topamax either. I do see halos (not multicolored) around lights at night, but I also, have a long history of migraines too.

how are you feeling???

I'm glad your eye doctor just checked you out. :)

I'm okay. Side effects slowly starting in at the new higher dose of trileptal. But what else is new? It doesn't seem as bad as last time around. Seizures are better but aren't totally under control, either. Mostly at night, and I haven't slept a decent night in a long time. But I see my epi next week. we'll see what he has to say about it all.

My new mantra: What NOW?

Endless,
the link you sent me...it is the pic that I saw last night....like an old broach!!What is a mandala? I can't believe that other people see the same thing!Now, please help me understand....it is a simple partial seizure?

everyone has different partial seizures. i personally dont see lights. mine are smell and ear related not sight related.

i used to make a distinction between partials and grand mals. but this one neuro i had told me i should not - they are both seizures. the brain is firing off incorrectly. he said you have to count the partials in your journal as seizures as well.

thanks....

at this point, I don't have a official seizure diagnosis, or if I do, they neuro has not told me. He did start me on topamax.

I have periods of zoning out/blank stare and rolling my thumbs together as told by family and friends.
I have frequent myoclonic jerks. Difficulty with word finding and memory. History of migraines.
and now this night time light show.......

I had one EEG that showed a grade 2 dysrythmia with spikes and another 72 hour EEG that was normal.

I go back to the neuro on June 16th.

thanks....
at this point, I don't have a official seizure diagnosis, or if I do, they neuro has not told me. He did start me on topamax.

i don't officially have a diagnosis of 'epilepsy' either. my neuro's just call it a 'mild irregular seizure disorder'. but i have not seen any paper with states i am an epileptic

i don't officially have a diagnosis of 'epilepsy' either. my neuro's just call it a 'mild irregular seizure disorder'. but i have not seen any paper with states i am an epileptic

grand mal......and they consider it a mild seizure disorder!!

thanks....

I have periods of zoning out/blank stare and rolling my thumbs together as told by family and friends.
I have frequent myoclonic jerks. Difficulty with word finding and memory. History of migraines.
and now this night time light show.......

I had one EEG that showed a grade 2 dysrythmia with spikes and another 72 hour EEG that was normal.

I go back to the neuro on June 16th.

I hate the word finding! not sure if that's part of your "seizure deal" for lack of better words but i get those jerks when i talk and can't find the right words. if that's what it is i learned that i have to stop and slow down and say my sentence again and basically not try to say things in a hurry when i think i have something to say lol if that's not the case with you then my bad :)

Could be a simple partial yes, but really an aura is a simple partial but without movement for most.
I have auras with my complex partial seizures, so really, I am having an aura to simple partial to complex partial in that process. In worst situations it could possible turn into grand-mal/generalized seizure but I've never had that thank god. My roommate has those and the last one was in the kitchen. I just took my meds and then her seizure started and I caught her and helped her to the ground and waited and took care of her. Thank God she didn't hurt herself because last time, she jammed her tooth so far we thought it was broken off..

Anyway, I feel that auras can help out in letting us know about a seizure, but technically they are the same but auras serve as a warning to a seizure happening even though it is a seizure happening. It would show up on the EEG probably..

I would ask neuro about it too- maybe he/she could explain it much better than I did lol, I probably made it more confusing..

Take care,
Crystal and her guide Umbro

you didn't make it confusing! :)

thank you for thank the time, and if I understand correctly, an aura (simple partial) can precede any other seizure....complex, or grand mal....or just be a simple partial on it's own.

Is the correct??

Back
Top Bottom