Simple partial seizure or Aura??

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

There is this misconception that auras preempt grand mal seizures. Epileptics have some kind of internal warning system for grand mals and can prepare for them.

This is not always the case - at least not in my case. When i was off meds, i had times where i would have partials and then a few hours later a grand mal. But I also had times where i would go right into a grand mal straight out of the blue for no reason. And I also had many many times where i just had a partial and no grand mal followed.

So for me, it's not a very reliable mechanism and I wouldn't rely on it.

okay....I have something new to ask.

I was lying on the couch this afternoon, kinda between awake and asleep, when my heart started pounding, racing....I saw all kinds of shapes moving sideways across my vision. My eyes were moving very fast. I felt kinda sick to my stomach. I bit the inside of my cheek slightly.

I am guessing the whole thing only lasted about 1 1/2 minutes.

It was so quick....would this also be considered seizure related?

Yep, Daisygirl.

The visual thing is a classic. Your heart pounding is an autonomic system type seizure. Eyes are common, too. Did it feel like they were vibrating?

Be sure to write all this down in your seizure diary so you can show your doc.

Gosh, I hope things get better for you soon. Ugh.

yes....eyes vibrating.

strange question here.....I seem to have been having more of these 'episodes' and closer together since I started the topamax. Is that possible? Could an anti-seizure med give someone more seizures?

I have been thinking about it and remember having these for years, but never knowing what it was. I just thought maybe waking from a dream or panic or day dreaming. Even the night-time light show I remember having before, just not in the round color formation like the other night. Ohhh boy!

These are small and inconvient seizures, but not harmful, right?

Seizures over time can create permanent chanages in your brain. The more you have over a long period of time, the harder it is to get them stopped. Even small ones are not a good thing. Small ones can also lead to bigger ones eventually. So any seizures are not a good thing. That's why the docs try so hard to get them stopped.

About meds: I had more seizures on a long term low dose of gabapentin. I have more seizures whenever I start a new drug, or change dosages. Several drugs list increased seizures as a side effect. My doc doesn't always agree with me when I say it is the drugs making me have more seizures. But keep a seizure diary. They can't argue with that. Be sure to tell your doc either now or at your next appointment.

I have more seizures whenever I start a new drug, or change dosages. Several drugs list increased seizures as a side effect. My doc doesn't always agree with me when I say it is the drugs making me have more seizures.

same here, increase in partials when i start a new drug. the doc also didnt like that. thinks it means the drug is not working for me. we shall see.

I think that the constant changes in my meds lately are partially to blame for the sezs i've been having but my doc isn't convinced :( I have been on either meds that definitely increased my meds though. I have simple partials with no follow on of cps ...these are smell auras. The doc thought my twitches were simple partials too but my last visit she seemed to be changing her mind so not sure...it was hard to sort out since my mom was talking :roll: As far as i know, I have never had an aura before a cp whether it generalizes or not (I have both, regular cps and sec. generalized) but I'm still combing my brain looking for one, lol.

Back
Top Bottom