sleep seizure that 'clusters' with waking simple seizure type?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

petero

New
Reaction score
last night I had terrible sleep issues preceded by eerie suspicion repetition thing throughout the evening last night
then when I woke up I had the awareness lip smacking type thing where my mind seems to recede through a prickly tunnel type of thing
these were obviously seizures/related to-
but I wonder if there is a clinical reference for these types
wherein a seizure period can last over many hours, through a sleep period, to morning, of different types of seizures- and what this might be called so I can track it in my journal
or if this is just evil incarnate taking over my body and that all hope is lost at this point :|

on a lighter note.. heh.. any signs of any geomagnetic, sunspot, etc activity over the past day

It is worth taking a look at this: though not sure if it fits your situation.

cool link info
I'm going to give some of that advice a try
I have been diligently taking multivitamins lately
but then the past couple days have been seizure significant
but I'm going to try that glutamate diet info
I did have almost a pint of ice cream last night, which I thought may have exacerbated things today
sugar may have been bad - but it looks decent on the glutamate scale
good stuff to keep in mind though
I think I'll increase my magnesium
thank you!

No - sugar is a BIG issue for many. Not just sugar from the sugar bowl, but food that is converted to glucose. Bread, potatoes, bananas, all are currently on the off limits list (they sneak in occasionally, but not weekly like before).

Ice Cream is a dairy product which has casein protein. This raises the glutamate level, and then you have all the additives that are put into ice cream. I know cow dairy is a big issue for my daughter. She didn't realize how it affected her until she was off of it for about a year. Now if she has anything with cow dairy, she gets a terrible stomach ache. We now use coconut milk products and also rice milk.

For me, magnesium is HUGE. I have a history of migraines and by taking daily magnesium, I have not had any in 6 yrs. It is also a known anti-convulsant. You could see if your doctor will prescribe it, then you might be reimbursed. My daughter notices symptoms if she does not take it daily. It is a worthwhile mineral to explore.

You are welcome - glad to share what works for us.

Petox,

I do have epilepsy and diabetes, so have had drops in my glucose sometimes but they are not what brings on seizures for me. As a matter of fact, I was awakened in the middle of the night last night, due to a drop in my glucose level. I feel light-headed and shaky, but once I have my snack, I'm fine. My glucose level last night was 41 and it isn't supposed to be less than 80.
I watch my diet by limiting carbs (bread, potatoes, bananas, etc) and I do eat dairy products. People with diabetes really need to watch/ limit their carbs and sugar.
Here's a website covering it:
http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/carbohydrates.html

As far as the seizure you described, see if this can help:
http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/sleep_disorders

... bananas, all are currently on the off limits list ...
...dairy is a big issue for my daughter... also rice milk...

For me, magnesium is HUGE. I have a history of migraines and by taking daily magnesium, I have not had any in 6 yrs. It is also a known anti-convulsant. You could see if your doctor will prescribe it, then you might be reimbursed. My daughter notices symptoms if she does not take it daily. It is a worthwhile mineral to explore.

You are welcome - glad to share what works for us.

I've never cared much for bananas, maybe that's a reason why
same here with dairy and rice milk - but I do love cheese - bummer - casein ya
weird thing though too - as I've been taking these multi-vitamins I think it may be making my metabolism readjust
I've felt a bit more unbalanced since taking them regularly for a week or so now
as I said, I've had a weird span of simple/complex-partials over this past week or so

What I have read, is that there are sometimes depending on the brand, a lot of additives in a typical multivitamin. You can't adjust the amount of each vitamin to your particular needs either. In addition, some of the vitamins and minerals are synthetic. In most cases you will want to find the best possible for the price that you can afford.

Also, if you have a gut issue, perhaps leaky gut, or inflammation, you will not be absorbing the vitamins and minerals that your body is deficient in. Many people give up because they do not see positive results quickly. Healing the lining of the intestines is the first route, then the vitamins will have a better chance of working as they were intended to

If I were you, I would stop taking the multi, if you can pinpoint that by taking them you are feeling worse. Perhaps, take one vitamin at a time and introduce it to your system. Wait a few weeks before introducing another. See if that makes you feel better

What I have read, is that there are sometimes depending on the brand, a lot of additives in a typical multivitamin. You can't adjust the amount of each vitamin to your particular needs either. In addition, some of the vitamins and minerals are synthetic. In most cases you will want to find the best possible for the price that you can afford.

Also, if you have a gut issue, perhaps leaky gut, or inflammation, you will not be absorbing the vitamins and minerals that your body is deficient in. Many people give up because they do not see positive results quickly. Healing the lining of the intestines is the first route, then the vitamins will have a better chance of working as they were intended to

If I were you, I would stop taking the multi, if you can pinpoint that by taking them you are feeling worse. Perhaps, take one vitamin at a time and introduce it to your system. Wait a few weeks before introducing another. See if that makes you feel better

sometimes it seems you're the most sensible voice I've heard regarding my epilepsy issues - lol
I think I'll take your advice and for now work on absorbing more magnesium (yay pistachios!), I've cut out a lot of sugar and coffee, and am working on upping my whole grains, and veggies in general

Back
Top Bottom