Sleep walking

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes when I have a seizure I'll "sleep walk" as my husband calls it.

One night I went into his bedroom 4 times during the night turning on the light 'looking' for something before he realized I was having a seizure.

The other night I got off the couch and went into the bedroom and started going through my cubbord picking out clothes to wear to the dr (I didn't even have a appt anytime soon). We both started laughing about the clothes I'd picked out to wear - Tight black jeans and a tight t-shirt. Wonder what the dr would have thought if I'd showed up in that?

I've done other things like this where during a seizure I'll get up and start doing something walking around the house. My husband has to follow me around trying to get me to sit down and stay in one place, but I usually never do it until I start to come out of the seizure.

Does anyone else do this too?

I do things all the time not knowing what I'm doing or I know what I'm doing but there is no reason to be doing them. Lol!

I used to do that too every now & again.
I would go to bed & when I woke up there were things on my bedroom floor (eg- empty shoebox, overnight bag) which were in my wardrobe the night before. I would also sometimes wake up & find I had clothes out that weren't there the night before & sometimes I had different clothes on to what I was wearing when I went to bed.

I thought these were seizures in my sleep but when I told my Neurologist he said it was just sleep walking. I ended up mentioning it to the Epitiologist when I met him & he said he felt 90% sure that what I described was seizures in my sleep. I always thought it was more than sleepwalking as some mornings I would wake up with a bad headache or feel like I had no sleep so was releived when the epitiologist agreed it might be seizures.

Hm, this makes me curious. I do some weird stuff in my sleep apparently. I remember as a little girl I thought a blue tornado had carried me across the room, as I woke up naked on my sister's bed (really weird). Thank goodness I never did that to my roommates in college... they might've been freaked out. Of course, I wasn't diagnosed with anything back them, so it was probably just sleep walking. I apparently just mumble a lot in my sleep and do other random things like throwing my arms over my head.

. I apparently just mumble a lot in my sleep and do other random things like throwing my arms over my head.
I think I have always talked in my sleep. I must scratch myself in my sleep because sometimes when I wake up I find scratch marks on my face or arms. I have my Mum & friends joke that I need to wear mittens or gloves to bed so I don't leave scratch marks all over myself lol.

Most of my strange 'sleepwalking episodes' have been at home while on my own but my parents once told me that when I was staying at their place they heard me walking around the hallway in the middle of the night. My Mum said she heard me up & called out to me but I didn't answer, my Dad said I was muttering something to myself :roflmao:. I don't actually remember walking around the hallway & remember waking up in bed but don't think I felt too well that morning.

Most of my strange 'sleepwalking episodes' have been at home while on my own but my parents once told me that when I was staying at their place they heard me walking around the hallway in the middle of the night. My Mum said she heard me up & called out to me but I didn't answer, my Dad said I was muttering something to myself :roflmao:. I don't actually remember walking around the hallway & remember waking up in bed.

That made me laugh! Thanks :) I don't think I've ever walked around mumbling. One of my old roommates said it sounded like I was speaking another language in my sleep. I'm sure I was entertaining to my college roommates when they were up late studying and I was sleeping, lol.

That made me laugh! Thanks :) I don't think I've ever walked around mumbling. One of my old roommates said it sounded like I was speaking another language in my sleep. I'm sure I was entertaining to my college roommates when they were up late studying and I was sleeping, lol.
I'm glad I made you laugh

when this happened I think my Mum said she thought I had a 'sleep walking episode/seizure' in the middle of the night because she heard me up, called out to me & I didn't answer. I don't think I believed her at 1st & thought she was worrying too much. But my Dad had agreed with my Mum & said "yes you were walking around the hallway muttering some crap to yourself :roflmao:".

Thanks everyone. I think I worded it wrong though, I wanted to know if anyone walked around while having a seizure. My husband calls it 'sleep walking' that's why I put it that way. I'll just start a new post describing more what I ment to say.

Thanks again.

I would sleep walk in my teens and early adulthood. I would get up and go into the kitchen and pour salt on my parents supper - to their disbelief! Mum knew I was sleep walking so would lead my back to my bed. I lived in a bedsit in my twenties, I kept my jacket on the back of my room door. I seep naked. I dreamed I was walking around in just my jacket down the stairs in the night. I woke up to find my jacket on the floor by my bed! So pleased no one caught me!
:)

Back
Top Bottom