Sleeping/living alone

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Abynorml

New
Reaction score
Is there any way to tell if you've had a seizure in your sleep? I live alone so this is a concern, my sister has had nocturnal seizures which she said went away without meds, lately with the stress and the back I jury I've been getting a lot of jerks and had a simple partial, so I'm a little worried. Can ya set up a nighttime vision camera set to motion activate? Is there anything people who live alone can do to be safer.

Whenever I have a seizure while sleeping I always wake up. It does make it easier to record but I still haven't decided if I'm lucky or unlucky to be woken by them.

My question though is why is it so important to know if you had a seizure? If you wake up and are fully rested & functional- so much so that you're not sure if you had a seizure, does it really make a difference?

I only wonder because I do live alone, and there has been times I've woken up tired sore and occasionally wet(which for years I thought was only alcohol related, I do get checked for diabetes, never ruled out sleep apnea, I'm gonna talk to the docs about that, been embarrassed to talk to the docs about it, though I know that's kinda silly). Ive always been an active sleeper, meaning I talk ALOT in my sleep.

Anyways I'm just concerned about having a seizure in my sleep because, well no ones there to tell me Im not, and I'm afraid it could make things worse? Like kindling or possibly not stopping or triggering my asthma?
Im honestly paranoid this week since the simple partial on the plane, I mean it was short and quick but damn, it scared me, besides occasional myoclonus I've been good for the most part I think? I'm kinda relieved the people sitting right next to me on the plane didn't notice but at the same time that was kinda scary too, I could feel my face spasming and saw the muscles in my left wrist go friggin nuts, couldnt control it, and it felt for a sec like I was gonna go full T/C, the second the light triggered it I felt the exact same stomach sinking "oh crap oh crap" feeling, I had during the first T/C.

I'm grateful I didn't go T/C but now I'm obsessed and analyzing everything, and waiting on a phone call or two week to see the neurologist to see if I should still be allowed to drive. I get a little embarrassed to post here so much this week but Im still getting use to this, it's finally really settling in that I have Epilepsy, it was much easier to handle when I seemed to have everything mostly under control, I thought maybe id avoid any more major seizures and just deal with the annoyance of occaisonal myoclonus or feeling possible auras, I guess after the last EEG proving the last doctor was an ass, and the simple partial on the plane it just seems more of a threat?

I've worried for a few years now that my career was at threat because it's highly stressful, I drive a long commute, get little sleep, you know all the things to avoid, I've tried to not think about it to much but now I'm forced to Really deal with it.

Last edited:
I live alone too and I do agree that the more seizures someone has the more likely they are to have more. Despite that, knowing whether I had a seizure would not make a difference in what I can do except in what to tell the neurologist.

Personally I would keep track of the mornings when I'm not sure I had nocturnal seizures & why I thought I might have had one. I might see a pattern or it might make it easier for me to determine if I really was having seizures.

Last edited:
I guess till I finally had proof from the last EEG there was a lot of self doubt in my mind caused by a jerk of a doctor who refused to believe me, and then I go and have a simple partial, which I had kinda hoped it hadn't really been a simple partial, till I researched it and all the clues fit.

I keep being reminded how being born with E meant I don't have to go through an acceptance or doubt phase.

I've always thought that the best place to have a seizure is in bed. If it's a Tonic/Clonic then you're in the softest & safest place (assuming you don't fall out) and besides that you can go right back to sleep, which is what I usually feel like doing after a seizure.

As you get more familiar with your seizures and their after-effects you'll probably be more aware if you had one in your sleep anyways.

I've had a few tonic-clonics in bed. Still ended up with a fair amount of soreness -- more sometimes than in other locations. But I agree that it's relatively safe, at least you aren't falling.

Most of my seizures have been while I'm asleep and while I'm alone. It is painful. I don't usually wake up until my alarm goes off, even if I have a seizure. For me, its the morning after that indicates a nocturnal seizure. Sore muscles, new bites on the inside of my cheeks and the sides of my tongue... things like that. Epileric has some great advice...
Personally I would keep track of the mornings when I'm not sure I had nocturnal seizures & why I thought I might have had one. I might see a pattern or it might make it easier for me to determine if I really was having seizures.
It's been a huge help, if nothing else in making my doctor realize that my medication wasn't working.

If you ever need to talk feel free to message. I'm still in the denial and doubt phase and I know its a tough place to be.

I know because after 14 hours sleep I get up and almost can't walk like ive walked for miles day before and sometimes wet guessing though again diff for everyone as above as some people wake, also had lots of day seizures alone I know because of again the muscles and being covered in froth and dribble

Sometimes I think I have because my muscles ache like hell in the morning; I figure im in the safest place so I dont mind from that perspective, but the implications of my medication not working properly, and of not knowing whats caused me to wake up to have the seizure don't fill me with joy...

night time

my 1st one happened during the day that was about 10 yrs ago,since I have mostly night time seizures, I live alone. My experience is they wake me up and I see aura's not sure if its before or after, just know they accompany the seizure activity & soreness like I've run a marathon, more times than not I have a killer headache for a few days, it's the same type of headache each time.

I live alone with two small children, but I'm pretty sure I don't have seizures at night. I have tonic clinics and always bite my tongue, sweat profusely, and have really sore muscles after. I've never woken up with these clues, so I don't think it's happening. I will feel so much better about my living arrangement when I move in with my best friend and her son this summer. I have my 6 yr old trained on what to do, but I don't want them to ever have to see me like that.

it amaze me since join forum how many of my problems and worries others also have,yes it worries me my husband live same house but we seperated
i also try see if clues if head ache when wake up i know proberly e..or blood on face

Back
Top Bottom