Sleepy sleepy Lou! Ok this is getting ridiculous

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Loopy Lou

Veteran
Reaction score
Ok, i've been rather snoozy for... perhaps a couple of years now, apart from the problems i had with insomnia when i was on Vimpat. I'd sleep probably a few hours more than the average person.

Now however it's getting a bit ridiculous. I sleep about 10-12 hours per night and then can easily snooze for 4-5 hours during the day. Even if i try to stay awake and pump myself full of coffee i can still fall asleep on the sofa or whatever by accident.

I keep being late for work. If i'm in work at 7am that means i have to get up at half 5, so i go to bed the night before at about 8pm, and i still can't wake up! I've been late for pretty much every early morning shift for the last few weeks.

I figured that if i go to the docs he will maybe just tell me to do more, so i've been trying to go to the gym 3 times a week and go for a little walk on days when i'm not there, but then i feel completely exhausted the next day.

The only reason i'm posting this now is partly because of the work thing (i am so gonna get sacked) and partly because my mum has realised now how bad things are. With me living on my own she never really noticed, but over the last weekend we were over in Ireland for a funeral and she was sharing a room with me. She said to me that she thought i was just lazing around when i say i'm tired but she could see i was absolutely conked out and she had trouble waking me. I also start stumbling and tripping over nothing, then when i DO finally wake up it takes me a while to "get my bearings" and make sure my limbs are working the way i want them to.

Oh how i would love to wake up refreshed. Someone please tell me i'm not alone in this because it's driving me mental! :paperbag:

Wish I could help Lou. Probably the meds are knocking you out, and/or the sleep you are getting at night isn't the right kind, so you still need more during the day. I can't remember, have you had a sleep study done?

Nah i've never had a sleep study. I doubt the NHS would fund it. When i had my hour long (and only) EEG, they caught seizure activity on it, so that was enough to diagnose me with epilepsy, no further tests to be done. As far as i know, they use tests like that to diagnose, not to help with any ongoing treatment. I could be way off though and just have a really reticent neuro lol.

I wonder if i should bring it up again. I'm still waiting to see a neuropsychologist too, but i don't know if they can order those sort of tests.

Sorry you are going thru this Lou...but I have to say I am a bit jealous...I have been dealing with the opposite..insomnia has been my nemesis for months, even before my first grand mal/tonic clonic(?) in January. since Tuesday morning I've had about 8 hours of sleep. i know this week is a little more extreme since he put me on steroids for migraines, but aren't I supposed to avoid exhaustion? :ponder:
it has been interfering with my work. my work environment is very stressful, I can't go in exhausted to boot. I think they are looking to replace me, I may even be training the replacement-well they're saying my assistant. but it is more how they dont understand that I not able to put in my 45 hours.

I hope you can figure out what's going on soon.

Ok, i've been rather snoozy for... perhaps a couple of years now, apart from the problems i had with insomnia when i was on Vimpat. I'd sleep probably a few hours more than the average person.

Now however it's getting a bit ridiculous. I sleep about 10-12 hours per night and then can easily snooze for 4-5 hours during the day. Even if i try to stay awake and pump myself full of coffee i can still fall asleep on the sofa or whatever by accident.

I keep being late for work. If i'm in work at 7am that means i have to get up at half 5, so i go to bed the night before at about 8pm, and i still can't wake up! I've been late for pretty much every early morning shift for the last few weeks.

I figured that if i go to the docs he will maybe just tell me to do more, so i've been trying to go to the gym 3 times a week and go for a little walk on days when i'm not there, but then i feel completely exhausted the next day.

The only reason i'm posting this now is partly because of the work thing (i am so gonna get sacked) and partly because my mum has realised now how bad things are. With me living on my own she never really noticed, but over the last weekend we were over in Ireland for a funeral and she was sharing a room with me. She said to me that she thought i was just lazing around when i say i'm tired but she could see i was absolutely conked out and she had trouble waking me. I also start stumbling and tripping over nothing, then when i DO finally wake up it takes me a while to "get my bearings" and make sure my limbs are working the way i want them to.

Oh how i would love to wake up refreshed. Someone please tell me i'm not alone in this because it's driving me mental! :paperbag:

Im sorry too lou,i would imagine it could well be the meds but im not really qualifed too give you a diagnosis,but every cloud has a silverlining,think of all that beatuy sleep your getting honey!!!

God knows I could do with some beauty sleep Neil lol! Worse thing is knowing that I now have an indefinite amount of time before I can see my neurologist or the neuropsychologist. I usually have to chase up an appointment myself.

When I couldn't sleep because of the Vimpat I would have given anything for a couple hours down time, but this is too far the other direction!

Well, at least my lateness went un-noticed today >.<

God knows I could do with some beauty sleep Neil lol >.<

Ahhhh Lou i just think your fishing for compliments:pfft: Nah seriously hope everything gets sorted out for you,all the best.Neil

I don't mean to be rude. But I think it is better than not sleeping much. I would rather have your problem than my problem of not sleeping.

The sleep study and a CPAP may just be your answer. As a cheap suggestion, get an oximeter device. That measures oxygen levels in your system. When O2 gets too low, symptoms include drowsiness. Oximeters are available online and at drug stores.

I don't mean to be rude. But I think it is better than not sleeping much. I would rather have your problem than my problem of not sleeping.

Believe it or not that's what I thought too. To begin with I was relieved after experiencing the total insomnia that Vimpat gave me. I suppose that neither is healthy.

Believe it or not that's what I thought too. To begin with I was relieved after experiencing the total insomnia that Vimpat gave me. I suppose that neither is healthy.

It maybe because of the medicine you are taking or the dose of the medicine. How long have you had this problem for? Can you recall what made you sleep more and more?

Well I've needed more sleep than the average person I suppose since I was in my teens, but that was maybe just a few extra hours. I had tegretol added to my Keppra in may which made things worse but my doc is insisting that no medication could make me so consistently exhausted.

He asked some questions too like do I snore etc, but I don't unless I have a cold (perhaps looking for sleep apnoea there).

Hmm its been a couple months since I saw him, maybe I should try again.

Back
Top Bottom