Slight increase on Vimpat and now unbearable side effects

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jemsister

New
Reaction score
Well, I'm increasing the Vimpat. Yesterday I did OK, although I was a little late taking my dose each time except my 5 pm dose. But today I am on time, and I am so doped I can't even stand. I tried to stand a little bit ago and literally and completely fell on my face (by some miracle, into a cushion, so my face is fine). Anyway, is it likely that this is from the Vimpat? I'm supposed to be increasing from 100mg 2x/day to 150mg 2x/day, so not a huge difference in mgs. I was only getting vague droopiness/sleepiness before. Could the slight increase really make such a monumental difference? My neuro told me it was okay to step back to 100mg 2x/day if I found the SE's too strong, and since I am out of town and also it's the weekend, I will do that for now. I am just surprised at how gigantic the change in SE's is. I have had these kinds of SE's with Trileptal before, so I'm not worried. My Tri dose is so low, and I have not increased it at all, so I suspect Vimpat and not Tri.

What do you think?

That sounds awful. I hope you figure out whether it's a side effect. It certainly sounds like oddly perfect timing to me, and it would make sense. Sorry you're feeling so out of it. :(

i felt the same when i was first put on lamotrogine, i had awful side affects and with every 25mg increase i do feel a bit tired, so you may find that it could be the medication causing side affects. you should talk to your doctor if you are worried about this

Thanks, guys. I'm going to go back to my previous dose and see how that goes, and if it's better again, then I will stay down for the time being. Either way, the Neuro is getting a call this week.

Sonia, BTW, I love the picture of your dog. (I assume it's your dog, anyway.) Reminds me a lot of a dog I had when I was a kid. So cute!

Seems like you should step up more gradually, I think my daughter did an increase of just one dose at a time, not both doses for the day. So you would go from 100/100 to 100/150, then maybe after a week go to 150/150. But on Vimpat she hasn't gone higher than 100mg 2x/day so far.

The highest I got on Vimpat was 100mgs twice a day. That was when the bad thoughts got to be the worst and I was in bed crying all day long. I couldnt be around my own kids, it got so bad. They tried me at 50mgs twice a day, for about 5 days and it didnt do nothing to improve things, so i was taken off of it.

I hope things get better!

Do you think it might help to take the new dose midday? I'm taking four meds AM and PM, but midday all I take is 150 mg Trileptal. Thinking I might call and suggest this to the neurologist when I get back in town.

Considering just adding the 50mg extra at night for now, since I'll be sleeping through it anyway.

Taking the extra 50mg at night sounds sensible. I don't know about taking any midday doses, Anna has never taken any at that time.

Momof3boys, your reaction to vimpat sounds like Anna on Keppra, she could only take that for 6 days!

Back
Top Bottom