A small miracle... but shouldn't I feel better?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
After many phone calls and emails to the Neurologist's nurse since September complaining of the negative side-effects, finally a friend of mine called her yesterday after observing what was noticeably not me over the weekend. They finally agreed that Vimpat was not for me, and gave me a schedule to slowly ween myself off it. I'm also taking Dilantin, so she said that once off Vimpat, we'll let my body and mind recover, then try to add something else. Today is day 2 at a slightly lower dose, and shortly after the pills this evening while in the mall with my son, I became nauseous, everything a blur. I feel drunk, but haven't had a drink in weeks! We quickly walked back home for fear that I might vomit.

I was expecting to feel better than this.. is it possible that this is from the slow withdrawal? Or could it just be a coincidence, and I'm coming down with something else?

Thanks all, for those south of the border, happy Thanksgiving!

It can take a while for the body to adjust to changes in med levels (either up or down), and transitions can often produce their own set of side effects. My guess would that it's the Vimpat still making you feel lousy, and you'll have to be patient. Good luck as you taper down, and thanks for the Thanksgiving greetings!

I agree with Nakamova. Im sure its going to take sometime to get use to the changes as you go down in dosage. Now when I had to get off of Vimpat, i was taking 100mgs a day, then had that cut in half. I was down to 50mgs for a week, then was told to just stop taking it. I cant recall any concerns I had when I stopped taking it. For me, the things I didnt like about the Vimpat was the changes I had about myself. I felt different, was in a really depressing mood, cryed all the time, and didnt want to do anything at all. Once I quit taking it, I felt like a different person within a few days.

I agree with the others,
Sometimes you can have side effects from med changes, whether it be that you are increasing meds or decreasing them. It can take a little while for your body to adjust to the new dose or new med.

My Neurologist at the epilepsy clinic I go to started reducing my Tegretol in March & I had some side effects from lowering the Tegretol but they were only minor - for a couple of days I had a niggling headache which hung around all day & for about 4 days I felt like I had no energy to do anything & felt really tired.

Good luck with reducing your Vimpat.

For me, the things I didnt like about the Vimpat was the changes I had about myself. I felt different, was in a really depressing mood, cryed all the time, and didnt want to do anything at all. Once I quit taking it, I felt like a different person within a few days.
I've never been on Vimpat but I had similar side effects when I was on the Neurontin. I was on Neurontin from Nov 2009 - Nov 2010 & hated being on it the whole time. I think I was on it at 400mg AM & PM but in July 2010 my local Neuro increased it to an extra tablet in the afternoon. I already had crappy side effects from the Neurontin but they got worse when it was increased - I was always tired, emotional (could cry at the drop of a pin or snap at anyone for no reason), think my memory was pretty bad & basically didn't feel like my usual happier self. I was also on high levels of Tegretol & Keppra so with high levels of 3 meds I was like a walking zombie.

When I had my Video EEG in Nov 2010 I told the neurologist/epitiologist at the hospital that I wasn't happy with the Neurontin so they took me straight of it.
I didn't notice any problems with coming of the Neurontin but that was mainly because I was taken of it while in the hospital.
As soon as I came of the Neurontin I felt so much better & my Mum noticed a change straight away, she even said to the Neurologist & epitiologist that I was back to my usual happy self.

Back
Top Bottom