Smelling Ammonia after workout

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Dignan

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was just wondering if anyone had a comment on this... I don't think it is seizure related because I feel fine and my auras have never been smell or taste related in the past.

But, I've noticed that after a workout, particularly a long run (5 miles or more) that when I come back to take a shower, I have the strong smell of ammonia in my nose.

I've heard some people say this can be epilepsy related, and I've heard it can be normal as a result of your body running out of carbs for energy during long exercise and therefore using protein breakdown for energy instead (with ammonia as a byproduct of this process).

I'm going to drink more water and eat more carbs before I run and see if that makes a difference, but I wanted to see if anyone on the forum had an opinion because I don't want to bring it up with a doc and have him misdiagnose something as seizure related when it may be simply from not eating enough carbs before a run.

Also, I take Keppra, which is processed in the kidneys, and I know that normally alot of ammonia is converted to urea in the kidneys, and I wondered if taking the Keppra could have an affect on that ammonia conversion process causing me to smell it more after a long exercise session?

Any opinions are appreciated.

Thanks

:rock:

Releasing ammonia in your sweat is caused by burning protein during your exercise instead of carbohydrates. If you are low are carbs, the body dips into the protein reserves, which means your muscles or whatever protein you ate recently. Up your intake of carbs, and see if that helps. That is fairly common, I know people at my gym w/o E. who have the same ammonia sweat!

I've heard it can be normal as a result of your body running out of carbs for energy during long exercise and therefore using protein breakdown for energy instead (with ammonia as a byproduct of this process).

That is true, protein/muscle breakdown and burning on (body reserves of) fats instead of carbs can cause a state of ketosis, just like the ketogenic and modified Atknis diet do. Acidosis causes breath and body smelling like ammonia. Energy drinks or dextro tablets help to prevent this in sports.

So, then overall.. is this good (as in I'm burning fat)? Or, bad (as in i'm burning away muscle)?

Also, any thoughts on if the Keppra, could do something to the kidneys to cause the ammonia to need to be released moreso through sweat?

Back
Top Bottom