So fed up with Doctors!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Claire7

Pillar
Reaction score
I'm still battling with doctors to test me for other things such as gluten sensitivity, thyroid etc and getting absolutely nowhere!
Had an appointment this morning for a blood test and when I asked what it was for, they said it was just a full blood count and ?anemia. They had no record of me asking to be tested for gluten intolerence!
I also asked if they could tell me what blood tests the hospital did after my seizure just so I know for my own piece of mind. Apparently they couldn't find the results on the computer. I know they are there as one doctor a few weeks ago did look at them and noticed that they showed a high white blood cell count and a low red one. He didn't tell me what else they tested for or what the results were.
I'm just so frustrated that I seem to keep hitting a brick wall everytime I want a simple answer.

Sorry to rant again...just needed to get my frustrations out!!!

Boy do I understand where you are coming from. More than once have I been at my wits end with conventional doctors and insurance companies.
Ask for copies of all your tests, and keep them in a notebook.
When blood tests are requested, look at the lab paperwork and see what is checked off.
Most of these tests are to keep us all happy that "something" is being done. They typically do not search for the cause of your symptoms. IMO

You can test yourself for gluten sensitivity. Most labs do not do the proper tests anyways for this.

Just stop eating anything with gluten in it. That's what we did.
I personally feel so much better, and get a huge intestinal kickback now when I have it.

No reason to feel sorry for a legit reason to be frustrated. You need to advocate your health and make sure they don't just ignore you. If you are getting frustrated then they really aren't being a very good doctor. If you want to know the tests result and what kind of labs they are running, you have every right for that information. Be stern but patient, doing that has made me not totally lose my mind with all the tests/labs/consultations. Best of luck and I hope they can get this all figured out for you.

Thanks for your replies!

Heard from the doctors receptionist late yesterday afternoon and apparently the only things they have tested me for are kidney and liver function, inflamatory markers, blood sugars and full blood count.

Not sure if thats just normal basic testing or should they have tested for other things?
Does anyone know if these tests would have shown a reason for the seizure?

Back
Top Bottom