So My Pycholigist (spelled that wrong) What's Me Too. ????

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JLogefeil

New
Reaction score
So my pych wants me to ask for a full work up when I go see my neurologist in about a month. What is a full work up? He also said that if the neruo I m seeing isn't going to help me he said to ask to go to a university.
What is going to a university goin to do, when I hear thr word it makes me think of collage kids. How r they going to help me.

A full work up is like running the whole gamut... blood work of all kinds incl. thyroid, diabetes, white blood cell, electrolytes, liver, kidneys, etc. etc., plus an eeg and mri and possibly even a cat scan if they feel necessary. This isn't a complete list and each neuro varies somewhat but it gives you the idea.
When he said to go to a university he means one that is a medical/research-based school, for ex: Rush University Medical Center in Chicago (have a google), or there are also regular schools that have a devoted medical wing or centre. If needed I myself wouldn't hesitate going to one, they have some very educated and leading-edge doctors and researchers.

I know it sounds like a lot but it's actually all very relieving. It's a way of getting it over with and getting on with it. Trust me it's better to have that to go through to get answers on the other side, then constantly go day by day not knowing 110 per cent what is wrong. Please don't be nervous, going to see a neuro is a great thing, they can help sort it all out.

So my pych wants me to ask for a full work up when he said to ask to go to a university.
What is going to a university goin to do,

Yeah, as qtowngirl said, the universities have leading edge doctors and researchers. My neuro sent me to Yale Neurology a few years ago. That's where I had my 24-hour EEG for 4 days and they started me on Lamictal at the end of it, which helped a lot. I started seeing a well-known Epileptologist there, Dr. Susan Spencer. She died a couple of years ago from a freak medical problem, and they gave my case to another doctor there, but I only saw him once and I forgot his name. I lived out of state for 2 years, and I only kept in contact with my current neurologist in that time so I could still get my DMV forms filled out every 6 months. Now that I'm back in CT, I should try to get an appointment with that doctor from Yale again.

And don't be afraid of getting all those tests done. It's a relief to find something out from them, and personally I think they're kind of fun. Maybe I'm just weird.

Yeah I agree they can be kind of fun, and I've heard others say that on here too; you're not weird!
Personally I find them relaxing in a way. Both the MRI and EEG sometimes soothe me right into a nap. A few EEG's I've woke up and it was almost over. They actually let me lay there for a bit to wake up and get on my feet. I think I would have slept there all day if I was allowed!!

I go to UNMC, University of Nebraska Medical Center. Ive been going there since 2007/2008. It was there that I had a VEEG, MRI and my dr who I am now seeing, is there too. If they want to do a full work up, I say go for it. Doing it, would be able to give the doctors all the information they need to rule things out.

Back
Top Bottom