Spices and Seeds that cause seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Brainskip

New
Reaction score
I just got back up but had a bagel a little while ago that had a bunch of different spices and seeds on it. I think one was Fennel but not sure. I still have the taste in my mouth but also threw up shortly after I ate this.

Im not sure if this is something to worry about or not. Course I wont be eating any more of them. It was from the Atlanta Bread company.

Thanks for any info.

Brian

Thanks Bernard, I didnt know that there was that many different herbs that could cause them. One thing that was on the bagel to that wasnt listed is Basil.

Not sure but still feel kinda shakey and a bit like I could thow up again.

Thanks again,

Brian

There are some essential oils/herbs that are know to be potential seizure triggers:
  • sage
  • rosemary
  • fennel

Herbal essential oils

Sage, huh?

Sage is the state plant here in Nevada. It grows EVERYWHERE. I'm not sure this wild sage is something you want to eat but it's fragrant.

I just wonder if the number of reported seizures go up when it's blooming here.
:ponder:

I did not know this!....

That's good stuff there Bernard....I'm gonna have to watch for those.
:tup:

Poppyseeds can trigger seizures
but I can't find any information on
this part. My Neurologist from long
time ago told me to stay away from:

OLD LIST from 1980s

• Rye
  • Poppyseeds
  • Sage
  • Soynuts
  • Any 'OILY' type nuts (ie: Walnuts, Peanuts)
  • Sunflower Seeds
  • Wheat Kernels
  • Unpopped Popcorn Seeds
  • Bay Leaves

He did not state anything about Fennel,
and while I love Fennel and Rosemary, I
use it extremely sporadic, like Bay Leaves
and use it only for seasoning in the pot
for flavoring (not to eat).

The hardest thing for me to give up was
Soynuts, Fennel Seeds, Wheat Kernels,
and Unpopped Popcorn Seeds (not good
for your teeth anyway). I loved to eat
and munch on those. But I didn't know they
triggered seizures!

It was also then when I found out I was
allergic to NUTS - peanuts, walnuts, etc,
and that had to be given the burial plot!

Just wanted to say thanks for this info. I still dont know what to think about it all, but Im feeling better now.

Eucalyptus and Clove essentia oil also cause seizures. Frankincense and Bergamont oil prevent them. Rosemary cause seizures from the essential oil, not the spice that I know of. Cinnamon can cause seizures if it's fresh or potent, because it stimulates the nervous system (same reason for causing them as caffeine). Basil herb is good for seizures. Put some fresh basil on eggs!

Last edited:
Wow, i think that some of that stuff we read is too old or only in certain situations applicable. For example, rosemary is supposed to be a threat in essentail oil. but i use it a lot and never had any problems. Same with cinnamon as i chew on the sticks and use lots lots lots in my food. I even eat grapefruit sometimes, no problems. But again its an individual thing for sure. I have found danger with some herbal brain tonics such as ginko as it promotes circulation flow and mixed with Gotu kola (as it often is) is too much for my brain. Big trigger.

The reason that grapefruit causes seizures is because it affects the level of liver enzymes (can't remember which ones) which affect how your medication is absorbed, it can also eat away at the coating of extended release tablets making them release faster which can lead to breakthrough seizures from an imbalance of the medication. In some cases it can be bad enough to cause toxicity. I'm not sure what its like in other countries but here any medication which is affected by grapefruit is clearly labelled on the pharmacy sticker. Another one to watch out for is iron supplements, I think its only depakote which is affected by those though.

Back
Top Bottom