Stanford scientists turn seizures into music

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Just received this interesting article from a friend about how Stamford University researchers turned seizure activity into music. What started out as an art project soon became more of a useful science project when they realized that the sounds a seizure made might be able to help care givers understand behavioral seizure clues. It may be a long shot but on the other hand I liked hearing what my seizure sounds like musically speaking. I am not allowed to post links because I've only been a member for 6 years so you will have to add the www beginning and the html ending for you to add yourself and make it work

news.stanford.edu/news/2013/september/seizure-music-research-092413.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I can imagine my brain would play Entry of the Gladiators...

... The professors soon realized, though, that the work could lead to a powerful biofeedback tool for identifying brain patterns associated with seizures.

Parvizi, an associate professor, specializes in treating patients suffering from intractable seizures. To locate the source of a seizure, he places electrodes in patients' brains to create electroencephalogram (EEG) recordings of both normal brain activity and a seizure state.

The EEGs Parvizi conducts register brain activity from more than 100 electrodes placed inside the brain; ...

Well now. EEG neurofeeback (NFB) is already a budding science. Currently, it involves placing electrodes on the scalp - not surgically implanted in the brain. There are numerous NFB systems (hardware + software) that interpret the EEG signals variously for the feedback to the patient - as auditory tones or some aspect of a video. The interpretation of EEG signals as "music" seems to me to be just another variation on the existing platforms that interpret EEG signals as tones. Perhaps, being a more complex feedback interpretation, it would allow for a more refined training protocol. Then again, maybe not.

The idea of using the EEG signals to predict seizures isn't new though. It's the basis for several implant devices like the VNS and RNS.

Back
Top Bottom