Strange occurance

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Jfpinell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Until now, I have been holding this inside not sure who to bring this up to and feel safe doing so...
About 5 years ago, I was driving along when I felt a seizure coming on (I've always had several minutes of warning). I pulled over in the town hall parking lot and waited for it to pass. After about 10 minutes of sitting there, I felt well enough to finish driving home. (My nearest relatives were about 40 miles away at the time, and I was only about 3 miles from home.) I decided to take the back roads around the lake just to be sure there wasn't any traffic to speak of. (I felt safe due to the fact that if I would have a second one, it would've been immediately afterwards.) Well, suddenly something odd happened that some of which is still a blank...I suddenly felt the vehicle go off on the gravel on the side of the road as though I had no control of the steering. I then seen a row of mailboxes coming at me, and knew I was going to hit them! I can't remember if I pulled back on the road at that point, but the last thing I remember is going over the curb on a curve in the road. The next...maybe15 seconds, 20 seconds at most, I'm guessing...is to this day, a total blank. Suddenly I noticed myself going the other way on the road, still feeling as though I had no control of the vehicle, but could see and comprehend everything. I then, clear as day, seen the vehicle go across the road into the ditch and hitting a tree! All this time, I know I was fully aware of what was going on. The weird thing is, even though I was fully awake and "into it", I felt frozen stiff. In fact, I remember thinking all the while since going on the gravel; "Why can't I just hit the brake?! That's all I need to do!"
Well, I recall a lady running up to me asking if I was alright. Everything from that moment on again, is clear as day. It was only those few seconds that, years later, are still a blank.
When I looked at the police report it said in part; "vehicle failed to negotiate a curve to the left...driver was reported to have driven through the backyards of several houses, and in between 2 houses to get back on (the road)".
Now, given the fact that I've had seizures ever since I was 2 weeks old, I know exactly how they work in me. I've never petite mall seizures, only, in most cases, complex partial (at least I think that's what they are). I've never heard of anyone 30 years later suddenly having a new kind of seizure, and then never having it happen again. (Does that make sense that someone could?) I know for a fact I didn't have another one while driving because logically, if you're having a seizure, you're not going to be able to steer around and through obsticles without hitting something. Also, I was totally awake and alert seeing and making clear sense of everything that was going on -just not being able to move suddenly.
I've never found anyone to bring this up to -especially physicians, needless to say- to see if any of this makes sense, or if this was some kind of momentart amnesia, or what have you. Has anyone ever heard of this, or can anyone make sense out of any of this?

It certainly makes sense to me. Even though my daughters seizures are tonic clonic, she had some strange side effects when on meds. She actually had three months of amnesia. Some doctors all claimed it to be psychogenic, however, others have said seizure induced. I have even read that hypoglycemia can bring on this sort of memory loss. Certainly not much difference than someones arm jerking out of control. Knowing it is doing so, and not having any control of it.

Seizures can morph (my term) over time, and change with age. It does stand to reason in my opinion that whatever the cause is of this symptom called seizure, that it too can progress and cause additional reactions in the body. One side effect of my daughters seizure meds was terrible vision loss. I now presume it was blood sugar levels that caused this when this particular med was introduced. The toxins were too much for her liver to handle.

My daughter still has amnesia / memory loss when she has a seizure. Her memory loss tends to be the hours prior to the seizure. I have read of many that experience this during the seizure.

P.S. - I am glad that you came out of that experience in one piece

... I've never petite mall seizures, only, in most cases, complex partial (at least I think that's what they are). ...

If you are experiencing petit mal seizures (aka absence seizures), you may not necessarily be consciously aware of them.

... I've never heard of anyone 30 years later suddenly having a new kind of seizure, and then never having it happen again. (Does that make sense that someone could?) ...

Yes, it is possible. Many people do experience new and different types of seizures years after dealing with an established pattern. There could be many contributing factors to a seizure event that might cause it to be a one off (or rare) event.

... I know for a fact I didn't have another one while driving because logically, if you're having a seizure, you're not going to be able to steer around and through obsticles without hitting something. ...

That's not entirely true. It is possible for the body to run on "autopilot" so to speak during some types of complex partial seizures where consciousness is impaired, but not fully lost:

http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/about/types/types/complex.cfm

... Also, I was totally awake and alert seeing and making clear sense of everything that was going on -just not being able to move suddenly.

This is a common experience with simple partial seizures.

It sounds to me like you had a simple partial seizure that generalized to a complex partial seizure. Your memory of the entire event is not cohesive (based upon the police report), so you likely only remember the moments up until the complex partial started.

You are very lucky that you didn't hit anyone.

Hi jfpinell,

I can only relate this to my own personal experiences although I CAN'T provide any advice, everybody's body is different.

I know what you mean, I get them about twice a week.
I AM TOTALLY AWARE OF WHAT'S GOING ON AROUND ME BUT I CAN'T RESPOND.

In my case it is a type of aura. My neurologist says it's like proof that my meds are working, otherwise it would have been a full blown gran mal seizure.

My auras do not interfere with my daily life at all although the MEDs, now that's a different matter. That has caused me all kinds of problems, IE: early medical retirement, drivers licence revoked in 2004 although I had it even with my EP since 1979 and sometimes I space out ~ just stare and although I'm aware of my surroundings, I can't respond. My Neurologist calls this a "speech arrest".

Randy

It sounds to me like you had a simple partial seizure that generalized to a complex partial seizure. Your memory of the entire event is not cohesive (based upon the police report), so you likely only remember the moments up until the complex partial started.
--------------------------------------
Actually, and this sounds strange coming from someone who's dealt with seizures for 37 years, but what exactly is the difference between simple and complex? I've read pamphlets that describe them both, but the thing that makes this hard is that, the way I feel during one, I have some of the symptoms of each, so it's hard to make a call...I guess the best way to put it is kinda' what a boxer would feel like after getting nailed alongside the head...like; "why am I floating?, why is everything moving and I'm not?" The thing is, that during 1 of these, I'm aware of things, but not fully alert (that day in the vehicle described above, I felt no different than I do now perfectly "normal"). That was about 5 years ago (somewhere in there), and that's never happened since. It was just like the flip of a switch, I felt I couldn't move -even though I felt otherwise fine. I mean, if I was starting to have another one, I would've (again) felt dazed, and not have been able to control steering "around things", as the report claims. (It could've been an error, in retrospect, of what witnesses seen or what the officer wrote maybe). I remember in fact screaming when I seen the tree coming at me, but it was almost like I was scared stiff (literally).
It's just that even with as long ago as this was, I'm scared to bring this up to a Dr. even though I know that's the only POSSIBLE way to unravel this.

Hi Jfpinell,
I have had epilepsy all my life but was not diagnosed until the age of 16. I always tried to explain the dejavu feeling to my mother, but she did not understand what I was trying to explain. Now I know they were auras. Over the years they have changed in some regards, but I get the feeling of a fight going on within my head. Things are still in movement around me but I feel froze. I, too, know what I need to do but my brain can't force my body to respond accordingly.

I'm glad you got he story off your chest and please realize you are not alone. The brain is an amazing thing. So far, my brain is winning cause I can't make it behave at all!!

Take Care,
Carla

1 other strange thing is that, after the lady ran up to me, I was able to talk to her clearly almost right away (as soon as the shock wore off). When I have a seizure, I can't form words for a few minutes afterwards -if I try, it would sound like someone having a stroke, where they're trying to talk, but their words are mostly unclear. The only other possibility is that after hitting the curb, I hit my head on the steering wheel hard enough to not remember anything for a few seconds. I remember everything from going off on the gravel up to going over the curb. The entire alleged incident involving driving around yards is a total blank. Then like the flip of a switch, I recall going straight the opposite way down the road. To me, this sounds like a petie mal, but I've never had 1 of those in my life that I know of or that anyone else ever noticed. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but with those, wouldn't you realize after the fact that you had one? -Like; "Huh? How did I get here? I was just standing over there.", if that makes sense.)

Your account sounds pretty much what happened to me recently. Driving my car with my children, aware but unable to do anything about it (but thankfully short lived as I managed to stop my car before hitting anyone/thing).

A very nasty and frightening experience. I used to have tc's ten years ago and whilst I am concerned that I am now having these types of 'feelings' (can't bring myself to say the obvious at the moment :( ) I have been having them for quite some time, just never realised (as my husband and those closest to me have witnessed me having them - just never wanted to say anything).

I also agree with Bernard in that our bodies may run on 'autopilot'.

I really hope that you feel better soon xx

I also agree with Bernard in that our bodies may run on 'autopilot'.
xx

Oh, I agree with the autopilot thing. For several minutes after one I'm still that way. But I wasn't combative or non co-operative or anything at the scene (as I usually am, especially when people try to grab onto me or talk too loud or give commands rather than ask or calmly suggest things.) That's another thing that makes me feel I didn't have one.
Even my physician didn't make anything of it, from what I recall...I of course, got a letter an medical review form from the D.O.T. saying in part "...the officer said you had a history of epilepsy and that you didn't recall the incident." But when I talked to Doc. about...AHEM!...the officer "finding me sitting on the side of the road" (of course too scared to tell the whole story), the stuff I described about being awake and aware but unable to move, he said it didn't sound like one to him.
I guess I'm going on with this to get as much info. on this as I can. It's going to bug the heck out of me until the day it finally clicks and I recall the whole thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
... what exactly is the difference between simple and complex?

You usually have full (or just slightly imparied) consciousness with simple partial seizures. You don't with complex partial (ie. complex partial = severe impairment or full loss).

... like; "why am I floating?, why is everything moving and I'm not?" The thing is, that during 1 of these, I'm aware of things, but not fully alert (that day in the vehicle described above, I felt no different than I do now perfectly "normal").

http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/epilepsy_temporallobe

I have had reports written (and I have not had any memory issues that I know of) and the report is quite different than my recollection. In fact, some have been twisted and distorted to the point that I have wanted to go ask the doctor / individual, if I was even in the room. People interpret things differently than you meant them to be understood.

It has been helpful to me in controlling my daughters seizures (without medication), to look at the cause of the seizures, and not at the seizures themselves. Seizures are only a symptom, and they can come with many labels. Labeling them does not get down to the cause. Working on healing from the inside out may raise your threshold enough that you do not experience these occurances.

Last edited:
I guess I'm going on with this to get as much info. on this as I can. It's going to bug the heck out of me until the day it finally clicks and I recall the whole thing.

Go on all you like! Gather as much information as you can, postively challenge yourself and others! I can really empathise with you - going through more or less the same thing and personally, this forum has been a brilliant resource and everyone is very supportive.

*hugs*

Back
Top Bottom