Strange Seizure and Delayed Seizures after Stress

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cinnabar

New
Reaction score
1) Usually, I have your typical Tonic Clonic Seizures. Last night, I was standing up in my bedroom and was "aware" that I was seizing. I felt my body stiffen then, out of control I was still standing and began seizing. I was able to through myself onto the bed, out of harms way. I continued seizing in total confusion. This was the most horrifying seizure because I was aware of it happen to me. I was able to cal out to my mate who could do nothing but sit next to me because by that time my body was just twitching. What kind of seizure had I had??? I had memory loss. It's back this morning. I don't remember feeling it then, but this morning I noticed a large bruise on my forehead but that's the least of it all.

2) Could this have been a delayed seizure due to a tremendously stressful 5 day "vacation"? with family. A kind of Post Traumatic Stress incident though exhibited in seizure form?... Note: This vaction was two weeks ago

It was a miracle I didn't seize then because this cousin from hell, knowing I have Epilepsy, was doing everything in her power to set me up for an episode. I attribute my not seizing then to my havining my DID. I have rooms in my mind where I can strongly compartmentalize. One room for insults, one for fear, one for dedgregation. Many, rooms for all kinds of stress points. They stay there with doors tightly closed until I'm out of the situation. So, for all practical purposes, "I" was stress free.

When home, as soon as I walked through my door I lost it. I couldn't stop sobbing all night and into the morning. All the doors had opened up once I was in a safe situation.

That was two weeks ago. Last night, nothing in particular was bothering me.
And then this 'strange' seizure.

My questions"

1) Has anyone experienced or know anything about this kind of "awake" seizire. Again, very frightening.

2) Could this seizure have occured as a kind of Post Traumatic Stress symptom from stress two weeks ago. A delayed reaction?

I'll be calling my neurologist but it's very difficult to get though to him. So now, HELP, what's going on?

Cinnabar :ponder: Serious pondering.

Last edited:
It's possible to maintain some level of conscious awareness through complex partial seizures. Were you experiencing full clonic seizures/convulsions?

I experiencing a level of conscousness, able to grope bedpost and through myself onto the bed where the convusling escalated. Knocked over table. I was able to call out "Help Me", my mate was in the other room. I had no idea of octave. I think it escalated because eventually he was by my side. My speach was not only slurred but words which made no sense were repeated over and over.

My full Tonic Clonics were actually less scarier than this. With my full TC seizures I'm aware that I'm hyperventalating. Then nothing. I'm out, onto the floor. Next thing I know the EM's are there. No memory of body/mind activity. Last night, I was acutelly aware I was convulsing once onto the bed. It was terrifying. I do wonder if this is typical of Complex Partial Seizures. I don't know enough about them yet. Maybe this is related to Neocortical TLE. Sounds like I fit the bill for that one due to paranormal auras. I'm waiting for my neurologist to get back to me.

I hate those seizures. I have those to. I would rather have my tonic clonic than those because they mess with your mind to. I had one of those about a month ago in my apartment managers office. I felt funny my eyes rolled back, my head turned and kept hitting the back of the chair. I was able to some how tell her to get Theresa the other girl in the picture. She is my neighbor and she new where my lorazepam was. I was mumbeling. My arms were moving. My doc said you are just not doing as much damage to your brain because you are not using as much of it.So even though it is more scary for you it is not as hard on your brain.

Last edited:
Thank you. It's comforting to know I'm not alone. It was such a strange experience! Just like you described. I still want to talk to my neuropsychiatrist tonight. He'll call around 8:30 and of course my neurologist. There has to be a name for this. For me it was much worse than a Tonic Clonic. Though, injuries are less likely. Laurie

I forget the name.That is the worse thing for me. I can never remember the names of the seizures.My doc told me but you know how that goes.Let me know. Teresa

I hope I'll get a name tonight or tomorrow. Will let you know L -

Laurie,
I hope you will feel better soon. I hope you have a good and seizure-free night.

Back
Top Bottom