Strobe lights and EEG's

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

CathyAnn31

Big Smile
Reaction score
Forgive me if I didn't post in the correct forum, I'm new here. :)

I am at home, wearing this portable EEG unit for 48 hours.

I highly doubt the test will pick up on anything, after all the 2 seizures I've had were 4 months apart...

Should I be doing things to encourage one?

Should I try a strobe light?

Any suggestions of other things to try? What would you do if you were me?

My MRIs were normal. Just hoping this EEG shows something but not very hopefull.

Thanks-
Cathy

Do anything

that you thing had previously triggered the other two seizures. Was it lack of sleep? Was it too much caffeine? Was it a particular food? Were you playing a specific video game or something similar? If it was based on your cycle, then there may not be much you can do about that........I think you get the idea, though....

Well the last one was brought on by a lot of beer and not enough sleep.

I started the meds 2 days ago and from the stories I've read, drinking too much wouldn't be a very good thing....

Or might it, in this case???

wellllll

tho i don't normally recommend it, if it's what brought it on........perhaps doing the not enough sleep part, and a couple of beers???

I agree. Be safe though. And let us know how it goes. Good luck. Hope you get some answers.

Last edited:
Well we tried 45 mins of strobe lights and unusual vids on youtube, and nothing...

I had 2 beers earlier then quit. Too nervous to try with the meds now in my system.

Oh well....maybe we'll do another EEG sometime.

Thanks.

You might be surprised... I had a standard, pretty short eeg, and they managed to pick up me having partials at least twice. I didn't notice apart from when the guy told me to relax because i'd inadvertently stiffened my whole body up. I didn't remember them afterwards, just him telling me to relax.
I only asked my doc sometime afterwards what had actually happened, because i wanted to know.

Last edited:
No- the doctors are not expecting you to do anything but do what you would do during your normal day. Anything like strobe lights will only make articfacts on it- meaning things that are false and won't look like your normal standard waveform.
Even if you don't have a seizure while recording or using AEEG 48hr, it might show a specific kind of waveform that might indicate epilepsy or seizures.
Do only what the doctor tells you to do- becuase they are looking for specific things only.
I hope everything goes well and let us know how it comes out.
Even if they don't find a seizure doesn;t mean you're not having them- might take a few EEGs to find one, so be patient.
Take care,
Crystal

Greetings, Cathy Ann:

Here's something to think about...would you want to take more medication due to false EEG test results, or do you want to be weaned from the medication you're already taking? Please, do your best to do as Smokey the Bear does & don't play with fire. Take care & best wishes! ~Ann

Back
Top Bottom