Sudden Increase in Episodes ... is my daughter going to start getting her periods ?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

karbhari

New
Reaction score
Hello All

I am the father of a beautiful 9 year old girl called Maya. She had complications at birth due to which she has a small scar in her brain due to which she has epileptic episodes.

my lil one used get an epileptic episodes about once a year but since august 2009 the episodes have increased drastically. She was on tegritol 450 mg/day and then she was shifted to oleptal (oxcarbazepine) 700 mg/day. (wt. 28 kg) once the episodes increased

She is shooting up in height, her weight had increased over the last 6 months & I can see she maturing both physically & mentally very fast in this last year. she is now 37 kgs and is on 1350 mg/day of oleptal now but she still gets her episodes much more frequently.

I started keep a track of the episodes and they seem to happen in cycles/multiples of 30 days .... hence my suspicion of her getting her periods in the near future...

Have spoken to the doctor about this and they have chosen a wait and watch strategy but I want to do my homework in any case ......

So my questions are based on the assumption that she might be getting her periods in the near future... If I take the cycle of 28 days , I might be able to predict when she will possibly get her next seizure , what are the precautions I could take .. home remedies .. natural remedies for episodes that might due to menstrual cycle... should I keep her at home & not send her to school ... any thoughts would be great !

Thanks a million

Karbhari

If her seizures are hormone-related then it's called "catamenial epilepsy", so you may find more info by searching using that term. I think progesterone creams have been used with some success to treat that. I don't know how appropriate those are for a 9 year old girl, though.

Hi Karbhari! Welcome to CWE. Lots of things can trigger seizures and effect how well meds work....or the dosage needed. Such as growth spurts, weight loss/gain, and hormones. If her hormone levels do effect her seizures, they would be considered catamenial...and yes, you can be able to almost predict when her next breakthrough seizures may occur. Also, if they are catamenial, you may find that hormone creams can reduce the number of seizures...(ask Robinn....it helped her daughter..)Remember that stress is often a trigger for seizures, and growing is stressful physically. As is having the flu or other illnesses. Make sure that you encourage good eating habits and sleeping habits. As she grows she may find that lack of sleep and poor diet will have an impact on her seizure control.

Been right there with her. My seizures changed several times during my life and age 9 was a big one. I was on the pill or having a baby from age 18 to 36 and stopped having them then they came back with a vengeance at age 36 .I've used a progesterone cream and it helped somewhat. Robin will have a lot of info for you but obviously consult your Dr concerning hormone creams in youth. My Epileptologist in currently in a clinical trail using progesterone.

Back
Top Bottom