Supreme Court ruling on medical marijuana

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

???

Oxycotin? That is a prescribed legal drug - but where is it now - mostly in the hands of people that were not given a prescription for it. It has become one of the hottest street drugs all over - but hey, it's regulated right! I was on this after my emergency c section and honestly didn't think much of it until i stopped taking it- and what a eye opener that was. In that short amount of time my body had become "used" to having it and i hurt like hell for a couple weeks when i stopped taking it. I don't like meds at all, like it even less when i have to take them, but when i feel that kind of "side effect", well, i will never allow that to be in my body again.

I told that short piece for this reason: the only reason pot is looked at so negatively is because it is "illegal". If it had been being used and legal for years how many people's opion would be different? I don't use and would never even try it for Jess, but i do have a very good friend who is a RN who, as an adult, had to have brain surgery to remove a tumor. She now is very familiar with seizures unfortunately - but the tumor is gone and she's alive. All through her chemo and radiation she smoked at the suggestion of another chemo patient. She could finally get through her days and past the nauesa and headaches. Since she is done with those treatments she still occaisionally smokes as she feels it eases her seizure episodes ( she doesn't have daily seizures). But knowing her, i know it was used as a medicine and not a "hobby".

We all have a different view on it, but each person knows their own body and what helps and doesn't. I would rather see people using pot rather than drugs like oxycotin etc. that destroy people.

It amazes me also that on so many of these studies they say they don't have enough info on the affects of pot for pain, seizures etc etc - yet they all have studies to show how bad pot is? Huh? That's usually what happens if all you do is look for the negative. Just the records that show how much it helps should be enough for some study group somewhere to quit counting pencils and look into as a viable medication. etc etc etc :ponder:

Korisue - My rant and strangeness in Pharmacology ....

Korisue:

It's not just Oxycontin but also Vicodin as well; both being
harder and more difficult to obtain due to popularity on the
streets; and yet people who need them are suffering. Very
sad! I take Hydrocodone Nap 5/500 which is also a hot item
that I take when I have those stupid tonic-clonics and become
injured, or sustain some type of injury. It's become asinine;
all because my drug allergies and side effects, it's the only
pain killer that I can actually take that doesn't give me any
side effects and that won't interfere with my Anti-Epileptic
Drugs. However, fortunately, I'm registered to have possession
of this drug, if I'm ever prescribed for it. Gee whiz, before you
know it ~ they'll going to make me sign my name in blood!

:(

Here's what I find that's so strange:

With AEDS - they're WORSE than those listed
above, and some of them are worse than illegal drugs on
the streets! I've been on them; they would make me so
zoned out, in la la land, super spaced-out, since I've never
done illegal drugs before - I guess they call that "stoned"?
:huh:

I've had surgeries, and been on heavy meds, but those
AEDS have sent be beyond the "Twilight
Zone"! :paperbag:

(Were they supposed to do that? :huh:)

But at least I was E-Free - but sure was somewhere in
outer space! *laughs*

:roflmao: :agree: :paperbag:

While my deceased father was a very long time Pharmacist,
I had the opportunity to look up some of those old anti-
convulsants (as they were known back then) and I went
"OH MY GOSH! WHAT THE HECK ARE THEY PUTTING IN
THIS STUFF?" *laughs* I didn't complain - really, because
it worked ... but it was when they had to titrate me so
HIGH of a dosage so I could be seizure free; and while my
body got used to it - unfortunately these 'cocktails' (slang
for the combinations of the meds) would work for a time
being before my body would just finally develop tolerance
to it and then everything would just collapse.

I never could understand why they kept removing me off
of Dilantin or Dilantin and Klonopin - for it was working;
they were always saying, "Here let's try this ...." or "let's
try that ...." - honestly, the next Doctor that says that
I really want to slug them! I'm so tired of decades of hearing
that line that it's so old!

So when I had my very first Epileptologist, the first thing
he said? "Let's try this ...." I almost punched him! I swear
that line is the most over-used and abused line in Neurology!

:noevil:

I have tried the marijuana and it cleared my head up so well I could funtion like a normal adult. Have great conversations. Pain from surgeries went away. I have tried very little of it and told my doctor. He will prescribe it to me if I want. I have been on everything else. Dilantin, Pheno, all the old ones.Back then it was just to keep you alive. Now its to keep you alive and well. Teresa

Back
Top Bottom