Swimming triggering seizures???

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

The thread Hawke.
It has been in the archives, and since it is about a summertime activity, some of what was discussed in the past is relevant today. New members might be interested in the information if they are near swimming pools.

I don't know if swimming can trigger a seizure, when I was a kid I was swimming and had a seizure. That was no fun.

There is thought for some people that the chemical used in the water, can be a burden to some bodies.

One of my son's seizure triggers is chlorine. If he swims in chlorine, he has always had a seizure later. He also cannot use inhalers because they use fluorine as a propellant. Just that tiny bit of fluorine that virtually isn't there, severely lowers his seizure threshold so that he has symptoms that a seizure may soon happen. So, never tried exposing him to fluorine in any amount again. Chlorine and Fluorine are in the same family on the elements chart - with fluorine being the MORE reactive of the two. My son hasn't had seizure problems with iodine that is also in that element family but it is less reactive than fluorine or chlorine. It bugs me that there isn't obvious research data on this subject of chlorine and fluorine being seizure triggers. It's as clear as night & day for what I've seen happen to my now 13-year old who has had seizures since age one after MMR shot; and had first chlorine triggered seizure before age 2. It's maddening for me how obvious it is, and then I don't see solid research data anywhere else to back it - or even hardly any mention of them at all being seizure triggers. BTW, paprika is another one of his seizure triggers and far worse if happens to be an ingredient in a sulfate that doesn't have to list what's in it (just have to list if something has sulfates) - or it's sulfites; anyway it's bad. Paprika is the strongest of the nightshade family of foods.

Back
Top Bottom