Switching meds

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

foul ball

New
Reaction score
I'm interested in hearing from people who have switched from dilantin to trileptal. I'm in the process of changing and am not sure if I'm going in the right direction.

Thanks
foul ball

Oh, my. Switching meds is HARD. Especially when you are on two at once. Right now I'm switching from Trileptal to Lamictal. It's the second try on Lamictal for me.

Trileptal is great for a lot of people, and tolerated well by most. Unfortunately not by me. It causes deep depression for me, extremely painful joints (like arthritis) and very blurry vision. It was the depression that made my epi switch me back to try Lamictal one last time, even though last time it gave me a rash. This time we are ramping up much slower, so we'll see what happens.

Be sure to keep a good seizure diary while you switch over. Most of us on anti-seizure meds have a so-so memory, so it's important to record how you are feeling on your old med, both together as you switch, and your new med. To find out about diaries, search on it using the search function at the top of the page.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom