Systemic candida causing seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mamaruns

New
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever heard of systemic yeast infection causing seizures?

I saw a wholistic M.D. yesterday that specializes in psyiatry (doc that "puts pieces of the puzzle together" in hard to solve cases - not psychiatry). Apparently I have systemic candida, which he thinks I've had for a very long time. It's invading me all over, and making me very ill. On top of that, I have a mycoplasma pneumonia infection, which the doc says it looks like I've had for awhile. I think I caught the mycoplasma last Nov, but the candida issues I've been showing signs of for about 5 years - around the time I started having seizures.

The doc told me that the candiasis may have altered my pH enough to cause me to be more prone to seizures. I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of this. I just find it no coincidence that I started having seizures around the same time I showed signs of candiasis (leaky gut syndrome, sudden severe allergies and rashes, etc).

What really makes me angry is, I've been suspecting candiasis for awhile now, and when I ask my primary care doc to check me for signs of it, she acts like I'm crazy. I was just there not that long ago, how could they not see that my eardrums are covered in it? It's on my skin and in mouth as well, how can they miss that, especially when I tell them of my suspicions? This has made me sick to the point of wanting to die at times. I cannot believe how many thousands of dollars I've wasted on stupid doctors. :mad:

I have thought that this was part of Rebecca's problem for some time, that is why the diet and clearing the intestinal issues has shown improvement in seizures. It is hard to find medical research on this idea as there are not too many doctors that think in this direction.

I too have asked Rebecca doctors and I get a blank stare and a comment that the body is suppose to have natural yeast and fungus. In fact I recently went to a GI doctor and got no where.

You are lucky to have found a doctor that sees things in a new direction.

The more I look into it, the more I think it's somehow related. I'm learning that the yeast thrive in acidic blood. My neuro recently had me on Zonegran, which from my understanding, turns your body acidic. My seizures got WORSE when I was taking that medicine. Coincidence? I highly doubt it.

I think you are right-on about diet and seizures, Robin. Maybe not necessarily for everyone, but for some.

I guess I'll know after I'm finished with my treatment, and switch to an alkaline diet. Hopefully I may be able to stop taking the Keppra, if indeed this may be the root of my seizures.

Oh I just wanted to ask, can you find a psyiatrist in your area to take your daughter to? This is the second one I've been to (the first was a sports psyiatrist, I had a hard to solve running injury)....both of them seemed to figure out right away what many other doctors kept scratching their heads over.

After finishing the treatment for both infections, my new doc is going to work on natural hormone therapy for me, and treatment of adrenal fatigue. He's also requesting my MRI to see if there's any scar tissue in my brain that the radiologist missed. I highly suggest a psysiatrist, especially a wholistic one, to anyone searching for answers. They are extremely thorough.

Last edited:
This is exactly what many parents are struggling with, with their autistic spectrum kids.
Neurological diseases and fungal issues, and they are turned away at the traditional medical practices. They are having to find alternative sources, with special labs. There is a link to all of it, IMO ... and many others.

Just to add a quote taken from
this site here:

www.natural-candida-cleanse.com

Emphasis in bold and underline are mine:

The potential for seizures can also be a result of an infection that isn’t involving the brain at all. If someone, often those at risk for any kind of Candida infection, develops an overgrowth of Candida in the colon, the colon becomes leaky and toxins from Candida, the environment and colonic bacteria can enter the blood stream and can cause many toxin-related symptoms. If any of these toxins is a neurotoxin (affecting the nervous system), Candida and seizures can be one of the signs of toxic brain involvement.

These are both serious conditions and, while most Candida and seizures are unrelated, the possibility of Candida overgrowth or Candida brain involvement must be considered. This is especially true for adults who develop seizures without any previous history of the problem.

Good Find Robin!
:clap:

Last edited:
I have actually been suspicious of my dental amalgam fillings being responsible somehow for my seizures, but haven't said much about it because the idea seems so far-fetched to people. But it seems like the more I research candiasis, the more I'm finding a connection between the two. Something about the mercury being an endocrine disruptor and making people more likely to have yeast issues.

Maybe I'll just get down to the bottom of this after all... :ponder:

Yes exactly.
This is a cycle that others are seeing with the neuro problems. (BIG in the autistic spectrum community).
I wonder too when I had my fillings "changed" from old amalgams to new amalgams.
I wish I had record of it to see if I was pregnant with my eldest son. I have so many that I am not sure how reasonable it is to have them out. Why is it that the composite has to cost more so that insurance won't cover it. Especially when the other is a toxic substance. I have three children with neuro/immune issues so I am quite interested too.

It isn't as far fetched as you might think.

Robin, I am beginning to think there is a connection with the amalgam fillings and birth defects in susceptible children.

I know that I've expressed concerns over my 7 year old son. I *know* he was born with something. I knew the first time I held him. On top of that, he has Brushfield's spots in his irises, which is normally only found in people with Down's syndrome, and one doc had noted some very minor dysmorphic facial features. He never told me this, I just see it in his medical records. He has all the classic signs of being exposed to mercury in-utero. To be honest, I think he may have Williams Syndrome...some of his facial features match, and his personality fits it to a tee, among many others. I want him to have genetic testing. Something happenned at the genetic level.

Something happenned when I was pregnant with him that I had completely forgotten about, until about a week ago. A dentist had put a new filling in my tooth when I was 9 weeks pregnant with him. I have read about the studies they've done with animals that they put fillings in, and I see how much mercury accumulates in the fetus. It seems to concentrate more in the fetus then in the mother. How can that NOT affect development?

I'm curious, are you or your children hyperflexible?

I can't say that any have been diagnosed with that.

This is an interesting subject, because I was listening to someone on the radio today. He was talking about metabolic dysfuction and downs syndrome. Says there are ways to correct this, via testing. Seems many neurological issues are quite connected.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2000/07/23/downs.aspx

Yes I too believe there is a connection between amalgam fillings and many disorders. I have been having a discussion on the Yahoo Group Autism-Mercury, with Andy Cutler who wrote Amalgam Illness: Diagnosis and Treatment. He is very intelligent, and has quite a bit of knowledge about antiseizure meds, chelation, and the chemistry of the human body.

Last edited:
Evil, evil yeast!

I had yeast problems when I was breastfeeding. And of course, you go to the natural health store, and no one will say you can take anything because you're breastfeeding.

I had midwives though, and they were very good, very helpful with diet and natural solutions. I bought this "yeastbusters kit", it was gross, but I think it helped. Now I don't eat leavened bread very often, and when I do, I feel blah.

The yeast connection suggests an extreme diet, no mushrooms because they're a fungus? But if it's systemic, you're probably suffering enough to go extreme.

My husband had C.difficile (three times) it's a hospital infection that is easy to pick up after antibiotics clean out all of your good bacteria. You end up pooping water, pills come out whole. Not good for seizures. Anyhow, they put him on a probiotic pill that worried me because it is YEAST. What I learned on my own is that it is "good" yeast. Better than eating yogurt, but this good yeast eats the bad yeast!!!

With some fear about the idea of purposely eating yeast, I started taking it too, when I felt my stomach wasn't good (too much bread). It's called Florastor, look it up. Try to find some unbiased, non-sales opinions online. I now ask the hospital to prescribe it when they have to give my husband antibiotics. Maybe it's getting killed off by the antibiotics too, but when the antibiotics are done, I want something good to colonize him...not C. difficile ever again.

That is totally interesting about the yeast-seizure connection. I am learning that anything can influence seizures. How is a person supposed to live in perfect balance all of the time?

Yeast is a horror, I'm rooting for you.

That is totally interesting about the yeast-seizure connection. I am learning that anything can influence seizures. How is a person supposed to live in perfect balance all of the time?

I think you are right that anything can influence seizures. Perhaps that is why the our medical doctors have thrown up their hands and decided that the little blue pill will do just fine.

It is my belief that we need to find out what our individual triggers are and go after them like a needle in a haystack. We will get help with some, and with others we will be looked at with crossed eyes. Unfortunately that is where I am at with the yeast connection. So with multiple triggers, you eliminate those that you can and hope that the others are not as much in control any more.

interestingly enough i have a book on the topic.

it's at home tho (...uni), i will dig it up and get back to you with a title and author so u can hunt it down @ the library.

maybe it's what i have... my balls have been beyond scratchy lately.

thinking that through, i'm interested to know whether it would be one of the first things they tested me for after my first seizure? because i know of all these doctors/neuros we're hearing about in the other cwe sections who just want us in and out anti-epileptic drug junkies...

so would i have to ask for a blood test specifically for a yeast infection or will they simply have tested me autopilot?

Last edited:
Probably it is not systemic...you would have more problems than some scratchy-ness. But you definitely should get it checked out.

My husband had some armpit and genital yeast rashes. It was not fun...took a long time to clear up. And a few different products before someone prescribed some powder stuff.

I think if you are hospitalized for any length, and really sick, yeast just likes warm and damp areas and doesn't get scrubbed out like it should.

There is maybe a connection to the drugs too. I can blame a lot of stuff on drugs because he's on so many.

I doubt they would have tested. Get it treated before it takes over! Even go to a pharmacy and get some shelf product. You can buy just the topical stuff for yeast infection now.

It's an evil fungus.

Good luck.

... my balls have been beyond scratchy lately.

TMI

so would i have to ask for a blood test specifically for a yeast infection or will they simply have tested me autopilot?

There is a simple test to see if you have a male yeast infection. The very first thing when you wake up in the morning, before you even get out of bed, spit twice into the glass of water that you left on your nightstand from the night before. Now over the course of the next 15 minutes watch the glass of water. If your spit just kind of dissolves and dissipates in the water, you do not have an infection.

If on the other hand it becomes cloudy, with strings, sinks to the bottom, looks like spider webs, you more than likely have it. If there is sediment in the bottom of the glass after 30 minutes or so then you have parasites also and will have to deal with them first. It will be very noticeable, so don't worry about being unsure if you have it or not. In most cases, you will be able to tell in the first 5 minutes.

Male Yeast Infection

Sorry, sorry can't help it, must post or explode

439JPIFurryFeatherBalls_ActiveC.jpg

Only20in20the20South20-20Cactus20To.jpg

cactus.jpg

Back
Top Bottom