Taking Medication During A Seizure - Smart Move?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

GoGiants

New
Reaction score
I mentioned part of the seizure experience in a thread I previously created.

During the aura I experienced, I had the awareness, control, and time to rush over (about 5 feet), unzip the bag that my meds were in, take off the cap, and swallow the pills with a half bottle of water.

At that point, I continued to have the awareness to head back to the game and resume playing badminton. After one long (and extremely active) volley, I didn't feel 100%. I decided to play it safe and took the 25-30 minute walk home from the gym to my apartment. I didn't feel any seizure activity (jerks, partial facial paralysis, loss of balance or consciousness) on the way back.

I didn't sense anything on the way back to my apartment. It wasn't until I woke up from a long sleep that I felt this rocking back-and-forth sensation, as though I had gotten off a small boat during a windy day.

Did taking the medication during the aura prevent the remainder of my seizure? Did the medication cause this? I am on 500 mg Keppra 2/day and 300 mg/Lamictal 2/day. Has anybody else tried taking medication during a seizure before?

Last edited:
my Son took his meds 45 mins before his last seizure..was feeling restless, stomach sensation, went back to bed (morning) and 45mins later...it hit.
meds did not bring his on, aura was alive and kicking = warning..

When you feel a seizure coming on (and I'm only referring to a partial warning of a tonic clonic), taking your pills isn't a great idea, we take them at a set time every day for a reason, and too much of them in your system at one time has the ability to cause a seizure rather than stop one.
Ask your doc about Ativan, as I (and many others on here will concur) have always been told, an Ativan under the tongue during a partial is what helps, as they act extremely fast and don't interfere with your seizure meds.

If I don't take my meds on time I'll have a seizure. When I was in the hospital they gave me my meds 3 hours late (their fault not mine) and had 2 seizures that day.

Also if I take too many meds, or not enough, then I'll usually have a seizure too. I've don't this by accident, not on purpose, long story about that time.

I'm still not sure if it was even a seizure in the first place. I didn't go through any of the steps I normally experience in my aura aside from being lightheaded. Lightheadedness could be caused by things like dehydration (which I could have experienced during play) or low blood sugar.

Then again, if it wasn't a seizure, then why would I have lightheadness followed by the dizzying rocking-the-boat sensation for nearly 24 hours until I took an Excedrin?

Last edited:
I take ativan (lorazepam) too when I need to break a cluster and get a window of opportunity, or my family/friends do. I love it although it can make me super sleepy and I forget what happens afterwards. I mainly get simple partials.

I think that some people get dizzy from taking their meds. Keppra did that to me and often when it seemed to be "fighting" off a seizure. Keppra gave me alot of auras.

But if it never did that before I don't know why it would have then...hmmmm.

Back
Top Bottom