Taking too many anti-seizure meds?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

skyfire322

Stalwart
Reaction score
So my short-term memory is shot.

When I woke this morning, I had taken my Lamictal as per usual. About five minutes later, I went into the bathroom to take my vitamins, and took my Lamictal again (a total of 700 mg instead of 300 mg).

My girlfriend then told me that I had just taken it.

I know this has happened quite a few times to me, but I really haven't noticed any side effects from taking too MUCH anti-seizure medication on accident. I'm sure that if it was a constant thing, my organs would probably be torn up.

Is there risk involved if something like this occurs?

Sounds to me like you need a pill box. Fill it up at the beginning of the day. When you see the container for a particular dose time is empty it means you've taken it.
Or, if your memory is too unreliable for that, have your pharmacy blister pack your meds into morning, noon and night dosages (or whatever yours is) for each day of the week. All you need to do is set your watch or phone alarm or whatever reminding you to take it. If you see the particular pouch for a day/time is empty, it means you've taken it! There is always a solution :)

I do have a pillbox somewhere in one of the boxes! I still haven't unpacked from moving into my new apartment. That will definitely be something I'll look for tomorrow.

For the time being, do you think since I took my full dose today, just to skip tonight's dose?

Can't answer that, sorry. Maybe someone else here is a night-owl (or is from the UK) and can offer an opinion. Do you have a 24 hour pharmacy you can call? Or visit your ER - if you're in a small city it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Call the pharmacy. They are usually very helpful and will know the ramifications of taking 2 doses.
M

skyfire322

Its happened to me a couple of times as well I would be inclined to skip tonight's dose.

Lamactil seems to have a high overdose level, so 700mg should be nothing to worry about. Symptoms for overdose may include nystagmus, lack of coordination, dizziness, sleepiness, slow pulse, loss of conciousness, constricted breathing, coma- depending on amount taken and other meds.

I'm assuming you're in the US, so here's the National Poison Control Helpline: 1-800-222-1222 if you can't find an open pharmacy for info.

If you're taking normal Lamictal, not the XR, it's absorbed very quickly. IANAD, but I wouldn't advise missing the next dose in 12 hours.

Don't just take my advice though..

What occurs to me is that too much lamictal might make for confusion and short term memory problems in and of itself. With me, even when I take too much allergy medication [for example]I end up in a state that I refer to as BLOTTO, SPACED OUT -- without any short term memory to speak of. My seizure activity has a lot of blotto in it, but so does the rest of my life, unfortunately -- if I drink too much coffee, if I drink too little coffee, if my neighbors burn Alder in their fireplaces, if I have a chocolate bar -- it ends up with me Blotto to one degree or another, without short term memory. Ye gods and little fishes.

out,

Back
Top Bottom