talk about a day!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

momof3boys

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
So this morning I wake up, take my Keppra XR and Vimpat.

The nurse said on monday she was sending me out a month's worth of samples to see if the side effects would get worse, or if it gets better, instead of me paying for a 6 month supply and not being able to use them. Its cheaper for our insurance to pay for 6 months than it would be to pay month to month.

So, I see the mail has arrived. I check the mail, NO medication is in the mail!
I have ZERO left! So, I give the drs office a call, of course I get her voice mail. I leave a message. Then I try to call my pharmacy up to ask what there is I can do to get some medication til the samples arrive? They said they could refill my weeks worth for another $25 dollars.... something I didnt want to do... but I did remember printing off the vimpat savings information. They said I could do that for 2 weeks and get a free trial. So, I said I would do that!

I take the papers to the pharmacy and then they tell me they need all this information that is not printed on the papers! What a day I was having! So, I have to go back home, call the vimpat 1-800 #, let them get all the information set up for me, log back onto their site, print out the information they sent me, and take it back to the pharmacy to get the two weeks free trial. Then I wait in their drive thru for almost 30 minutes while they type a group # in, and ID #!

They finally gave me the medication, and I get home and see for two weeks, 100mg tablets, that if I didnt have insurance or the free trial information, I would have had to pay $277!

I cant believe how much it is for medications these days!

Im just praying that this medication does work, and the side effects lessen or go away. My dr thinks these are just normal side effects that will go away after being on it a month. I pray to god he is right!

Oh, brother. What a runaround!

I'm glad it turned out okay, though.

Yeah, my meds, all-inclusive, would run me over a thousand dollars a month if I didn't have insurance. Crazy. Kind of makes me frozen with fear if I don't have insurance some day. Most insurances that I could find don't include medication coverage, and the one that does only covers 50%.

I can't imagine how difficult it must be to pay for neccessary medications like that. I mean, i complain about the NHS constantly, and it runs like a clock going backwards, but thankfully i don't have to pay for my meds at all.

I hope the side effects go away and that this med works for you. By the time i get off Vimpat i will still probably have a box or two of 100mg left. I wonder if it's legal to post them to someone else?

I can't imagine how difficult it must be to pay for neccessary medications like that. I mean, i complain about the NHS constantly, and it runs like a clock going backwards, but thankfully i don't have to pay for my meds at all.

I hope the side effects go away and that this med works for you. By the time i get off Vimpat i will still probably have a box or two of 100mg left. I wonder if it's legal to post them to someone else?

I dont know if its legal or not, I know when my mom was getting some medication years ago for me, she had to get it through canada becuase it wasnt in the US at the time, (i cant recall what medication it was I would have to have to ask her) but when I had to come off of it, there were other families that were needing it, so we mailed the extras we had to them. I have a bottle of Carbotral too that I didnt use. I would hate to throw it away, so I'm holding onto it incase someone who happens to use it, wants it!

Im praying the vimpat works for me too! :)

In the united states it's not legal. Don't know about the UK....

It really is a shame. A kind of exchange or sharing would help a lot of people who can't afford meds.

But I understand their thinking. You really can't tell what's inside the bottle once it leaves someone's hands, and it really does need to be prescribed/watched by a doctor. The only way to ensure that is with a new prescription.

Ive noticed my biggest fear is dealing with paperwork-I HATE IT-not just doctors and insurance but my kids school stuff,sons college stuff,house foreclosure constantly, ssi crap-seems everyday its never ending-Heavens knows what I write down sometimes! Definitely a stressor-I hope you got everything taken care of and have a peaceful evening

We don't get our meds in bottles over here, just in the boxes and blister packs that they're originally packaged into. They're pretty strict on contamination and stuff here during the manufacturing/packaging process.

Also i see your point Endless - i know i'm not one of the dodgy people but i guess there's no way anyone else could know that for sure lol.

When Ive got medications, they all have came in a sealed bottle (when Im purchasing my 6 month supplies) otherwise the pharmacy puts them into one of their bottles that are not sealed.

The medication that we shared with other familes was Sabril. The stuff we couldnt use, we gave to those families that needed it. This was like 15 or more years ago.....

In Australia, our medication comes in blister packs sealed in boxes too, like the UK. I'm lucky, a portion of my meds are subsidized by the government. So only $34 for a months supply.

I recieved (3) 2 week trial packets today in the mail from my dr's office, they came in the punch out packets. Those will surely help me! :)

For what I pay, like my Keppra XR, a 6 month supply is $100 through out insurance, and then I can use the Keppra savings card, which saves me $30, so I pay $70 for a 6 month supply. If I have no problems with the Vimpat, I can use the vimpat savings card I got online, and save $30 there too! I will have to see how much it will be through our insurance for a 6 month supply. More than likely it will be between $100 - $150.

A medication exchange....

I'm thinking of a poker game. Fun AND useful.

"I'll see your 3 Ativan, and raise you 1 week of Lamictal XR..."

:roflmao:

how is the keppra working for you

hello,
i just wanted to know how is the keppra working for you im new on here and my son takes keppra and he is 6yrs old. all the mood swings that people get he doesn't get them and he has been on it since the age of 2.

Here in the Czech Republic it is similar to the uk.

If you go to a pharmacy with a prescription for a cold or some other "one off" illness, you have to pay. It's about the equivalent of one dollar 50.

Medication for a condition like epilepsy, or diabetes etc., something you will probably be taking for a looooong time, is free.

I'm in! I'll see your Trileptal, and raise you three Ativan and ten Dilantin.

I'm in! I'll see your Trileptal, and raise you three Ativan and ten Dilantin.

Well, Dilantin actually lessens the value of your pot. (no pun intended)

So.... I'll see your Ativan and Trileptal, and I'll raise you one month's worth of Topamax, two cyclobenzaprines and one hydrocodones. I will have to deliver them in person because I think it's illegal to mail them.

I really want those Ativans.

Oh, wait. I think Topamax lowers the value of the pot, too.

Who would like to have the Dilantind and the Topamax? <she says, as she passes them around...>

Last edited:
Ive got about 300 zonergan-with 11 refills-guess the doc doesnt want to see me for awhile-and a few xanax but your hydrocodone makes me vomit so we'll need a bucket

How about some Tramadol instead of the hydrocodone?

Oh, my. We are beginning to sound like professional traders. In prescription drugs, I mean. Kinda sad how much we know about them all! :roflmao:

Last edited:
Oh, my. We are beginning to sound like professional traders. In prescription drugs, I mean. Kinda sad how much we know about them all! :roflmao:

Naaa, at this point it'd be sad if we didn't know this much about our drugs.

Back
Top Bottom