Teacher

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

finalpoet

Stalwart
Reaction score
Someone said they were a teacher? Who?

I'm considering the field of practice and so I naturally have a few questions if possible.

Hi finalpoet,

I don't know if you were thinking about me but I work as a teacher aide in public school. Take my word public schools are in need of teachers very badly. Many teachers are retiring this yr. and more next yr.
If you do decide to become a teacher the pay as well as the benefits are good and you can retire at age 55 with no cuts in your state retirement as long as you have worked 30 yrs. or more. What has saved me is the health ins. since there's a lot of staff I only have to pay a group plan price which is great and meds are cheaper also.
I was open about my epilepsy from the beginning and told personnel all about I also put it on my job application that way they couldn't come after me or lay me off do to my seizures because they knew all about them when they hired me and that was back in 1985
Here's wishing you only the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

I do believe it was you. I did want to ask you how broken is our public education system? I was thinking of becoming a teacher in time but I've never heard good things.

what state your in will make a big difference.

also your neighborhood. Im in a nicer area, the taxes are incredibly high........But you get nice roads, GREAT public schools, extremely low crime, etc etc.

each zip code to the right or left drops a bit, but your location will play a large role if your going to be a public school teacher.

Hi finalpoet,

gymrat827 is correct in regards to public schools a lot of it has to do with the size of the school and the location. I work at a public school where there are 2 big colleges and now the public school is trying to be like a college which is ridiculous. When I first started working at the school there were only 4 administrators running the school but now there's the superintendent, 4 assistant superintendents, and 4 ceo's which is a bunch of garbage as far as I'm concerned.
If you go to work in a bigger city you will find it's more like dirty politics and a business than it is education.
A few yrs. ago the former superintendent and personnel director where both busted for stealing money out of staffs IRA's that had direct deposit but they got busted and they were both fired and now they owe many staff $1000's with 9% interest rate. I closed up my IRA and am just letting it roll over and then I opened another one up outside of public school. If you do decide to teach you need to have a backbone and don't let anyone push you around this is one thing I have learned over the yrs. and now administration knows not to mess with me. I wish you the best of luck, feel free to ask me any questions and May God Bless You!

Sue

My wifes friends (teachers) work in some bad, low income areas in Chicago. The south and west sides are not the greatest areas but the students themselves are smart enough to know they have a good teacher dedicated to helping the students.

Both of them have classes that love them for doing what they are. They make dog shit money, they are constantly in very bad areas past sundown, terrible insurance.........But the kids and surrounding community knows they are there to do a good thing.

So its different for them, they are treated like royalty. But they are taking the jobs that no teacher wants....

Hmmmm, definitely something to think about.

Also thank you for the advice!

I’ve worked at the collegiate level (in a University) and now I teach college courses to high school kids. I love it, but it depends on where you work. I worked in a lower income school and had zero support from admin. It was really difficult especially because my kids were considered “high risk” (PTSD, RAD, etc). I loved the kids, but I could barely teach. I tutored in a nicer school with no problems. I now work for a school with an amazing admin and it’s so different.
I’ll admit, I’m a year away from PhD and I’ve never been offered over $40,000. Don’t get into this line of work unless you’re obsessed with the subject (I was just crazily making a syllabus), love kids and watching them grow, and are into making a change. Most of my teacher friends can’t make ends meet or they work second jobs.
I don’t disclose my epilepsy if I can help it.

Last edited:
If you dont disclose your epilepsy they cant fire you over that for putting people at risk, even worse when kids are involved
when i developed my epilepsy I lost my english certs. a few years back, as in sat down on the sofa to debate job or girl woke up with either

I am not a fan of the charter schools and the systems I have seen out in California, but I have dealt with them less ,and they are dealing with a lot more students at once, so it is unfair bias. It is impossible to compare them to the layout I saw in cleavland or new york, But once again sheer number of bodies. I am from alabama, and those are systems I understand and they only recently made a lot of progress and cleaning up its school city systems and rewriting "no child left behind"

Back
Top Bottom