Tegretol causes weight gain?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Nuerontin

I am sure it depends on each individual on who gains weight and who doesn't who takes it. Pamela

I have been taking tegretol for well over 20years and have been up and down with my weight, for example my appetite will be near to non existant then to a healthy one over night which has given me reason to believe why i balance between 14 stone and 17-18. I dont believe its solely down to the meds but i do think they have the reason why my appetite is so inconsistant and that they hold the reason why I lose it and gain it consistantly.

My blood work recently showed that my red blood cell counts are low, i think it is from the tegretol. And it does cause weight gain, memory problems, lothargia, depression, blurred vision, etc. I was on it for almost 20 years. Also increased dosages have caused me to have seizures and utis. No liver problems. Also my thyroid is low.

I've read that Tegretol is an anti-diuretic, so maybe it is making you retain more water.

Back
Top Bottom