Tegretol Retard

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bernard

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
In the USA, Novartis markets an extended-release carbamazepine drug as Tegretol XR. In the UK, they market a slightly different formulation (a coated pellet) as Tegretol Retard.

Perhaps it's just a cultural thing, but the name for the UK product seems a bit insensitive - especially in light of the controversy surrounding the Tropic Thunder movie.

Thoughts?

My neuro wanted me on this, it wasn't until after I'd picked up the prescription that I realised I'd been given normal tegretol. It seems that all slow release tablets are called 'retard' in the UK, I do think it's a bit insensitive, I'm not sure why they thought it was a good name. :ponder:

Luckily I didn't take it to mean retard in the 'normal' sense (I hate the word retard as it is used widely by idiots such as bullies), I've seen other tablets such as brufen retard, so I knew it was just another name for slow release. I did wonder if some people panicked when they saw it, had I not known what it meant, I might have!

You would think they would catch on to this. Tegretol Slow Release is certainly more sensitive. Think a letter campaign to the company would help?

Good Grief

You have GOT to be kidding me. Did they take leave of their senses when they named it? OY. *rolling eyes* I'm sorry, but that is ridiculous. I think perhaps a letter-writing campaign might be a good idea......

Well, considering everyone just seems afraid to 'name' anything these days before going through a library of 'will I offend anyone' books, it seems completely inconsiderate....

....makes me ashamed to live in such a two-faced country !

An Editoral from Brain ...

Actually, I was the one who bought it up
to Bernard, for I was aware of this issue
and as CWE grows - I have concerns for
individuals who will be posting in regards
to having being on Tegretol Retard; and
to many folks - they will take it the wrong
way without the realization they are in
another Country, while majority of the world
uses Tegretol XR (as well as other medications),
however, I am sensitive to other members
and I feared that people would begin to
flame (bash, cause strife, discord, banter,
or "write-them-off" and ignoring them) or
going so far as pushing them away because
they found them offensive).

So it was a good move on Bernard's part to
post an explanatory on this end so that
everyone would know that THERE IS SUCH
THING AS TEGRETOL RETARD, only that
we know it as Tegretol XR (as well as to
those in many other Countries).

However, I do want to put emphasis on the
UK's slangs and phrases, which can be quite
'offensive' to us ~ is also passed on in AU -
Australians - so all I do ask ... give such folks
some leeway and come to realization that
CWE is WORLDWIDE and INTERNATIONAL
and growing!

So you will experience and see the cultural
differences and what may be 'offensive' to
you is not offensive to them; moreover, have
you ever thought that the things we (USA/CAN)
that the things we post - including slangs, may
very well be 'offensive' to them? It's an equal
balance, cultural differences...

This is ALL GOOD - the more, the merrier, and
we get to learn more about each other from
"other Countries".

:tup:

Amen Sharon :clap:

I'm proud to be part of a US site, and yes, sometimes it does take me a li'l time to go through my 'American-English Translations Dictionary', but hell - I love it.....it reminds me off my best holidays

Take a look on a UK Epilepsy site (no names mentioned), and all you'll find is people moaning about 'poor me', and not looking outside the bubble to see what other methods could be used to correct things, ie. change of lifestyles/diets/medication, etc.

It's always gonna be a bit of a challenge translating drugs between different names in different countries, but when such a HORRID name has been put on every sticky label for this product in the UK, it just makes things twice as difficult to accept.

Maybe Bernard would be able to do his magic on the site computer, so that everytime someone uses 'Tegretol Retard', it changes to 'Tegretol XR' on the site ?.....just a thought :ponder:

Maybe Bernard would be able to do his magic on the site computer, so that everytime someone uses 'Tegretol Retard', it changes to 'Tegretol XR' on the site ?.....just a thought :ponder:

This thread would make zero sense if I were able to do that. :roflmao:

The word Retard is a insult!!!! I hate that word. It reminds me of when I was growing up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Retard: (from the oxford english dictionary)

• verb /ritaard/ hold back the development or progress of.

• noun /reetaard/ derogatory a mentally handicapped person.

— DERIVATIVES retardation noun retarder noun.

— ORIGIN Latin retardare, from tardus ‘slow’.

The reason we find it offensive is because bullies etc have made it so and most people are unaware of it's true meaning. But to use it in the term Tegretol retard is completely correct.

We really shouldn't be offended by a word when it is used in it's correct sense. By all means calling someone a retard to hurt or anger is offensive.

When I had my daughter she was labelled as IUGR. When I asked what that meant they told me 'Intra Uterine Growth Retard' and left it at that. I panicked, wondering what was wrong with my baby, who they had told me was 100% healthy. It was at least a week of worrying before someone explained that she was a bit small (5lb7oz) but there was nothing wrong with her. Had I actually known the correct definition of retard, I might not have worried so much.

There is nothing offensive about the word 'retard', just the context in which it used.

It's a shame that has been changed by some of the more 'uncouth' members of society.

Back
Top Bottom