Telling classmates about E

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Lovespurple

Pillar
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I hope that you are all having a great day. :D

Tomorrow (Monday), I am going to tell the students in my English class that I have Epilepsy and I am going to do this in the lesson. I know that I do not need to be nervous since some of my trusted friends are in my English class. Do you have any suggestions and tips to prevent myself from feeling nervous or to look confident? Any other tips and suggestions would be appreciated too.

Thanks, fellow E patients, for your time. :)

I have never been in this position, but can you somehow incorporate into your lesson for the day - a literary author who has epilepsy, ask students to write a 10 min paragraph about prejudices surrounding those with chronic medical conditions and then say I have epilepsy so how does that make you feel . . . . that kind of thing.

Well done for doing this. My daughter will be doing similar after the summer holidays.

Rembering to try to breathe normally when nervous or anxious is a big help. You'll look confident if you make eye contact around the room - and smile :D

JaneC - Thank you for your advice. I shall try that, but it may be hard since I look away from the other person every 5 seconds when having a conversation. However, it may be different when there is the group of classmates. I've noticed that you are in Scotland :). I live in the host borough of the 2012 Olympics (you can research that) and it's quite decent here. I wish your daughter all the best. I have to do that in September too when I enter Year 11.

masterjen - I'm only going to talk to them for 15 minutes maximum because we have to get our Of Mice And Men (my favourite book!) essays back and improve them. I will give a few examples of famous people who had epilepsy (e.g. Charles Dickens, Vincent Van Gogh, Danny Glover, etc), educate them on the myths of epilepsy, and let them ask how they feel and other questions. I really appreciate the advice. :)

Hi Lovespurple, I used to live/work in Romford, so I know where you are. It must have been very exciting having the Olympics on your doorstep.

I hope all goes well tomorrow - wishing you lots of luck x

JaneC - Yes it was very exciting! We could hear the fireworks! I stayed up late that day to watch the Pakistani team come with the Flag (I'm from Pakistan) on T.V on the Opening Ceremony.
What's better is that one of my close friends is the Young Mayor of Newham at the moment. It's nice to see her in the borough's magazine from time to time.

Thanks again for your advice for tomorrow. Thanks for the wishes too! :D

Update/Outcome

Hi everyone, I want to give an update.

The presentation went well. For some reason, my heart was beating rapidly and I felt nervous. However, they took it well and my teacher told me that they were listening and concentrating well. She used to care for a child with severe epilepsy, so she knows the first aid stuff.

Now I hope that my classmates don't wander away from me because of Epilepsy. I also hope that they don't look at me like I have swine flu (instead of Epilepsy).

Congrats! I'm glad it went well. You're very brave, and I hope your classmates can see that.

Glad the presentation went well.
I think you're very brave to speak to your class as it sometimes takes a lot of courage to get up & talk in front of a group of people :clap:.

I am very open about my epilepsy but I hate public speaking & don't like being around large crowds so I don't think I would have been able do it.

Well done Lovespurple. Thanks to you, some more people know a whole lot about epilepsy. That's something that's very important. You're a star and you should be very proud of yourself :clap:

Back
Top Bottom