Are test done for long term effect for drugs?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

yorkie41

New
Reaction score
I'm on keepra and everything I have seen says doctors don't know the long term effects.

What about slow growing diseases? like osterperosis?

When did tegretol get a warning for bone problems? I don't remember seeing it in 1985 but then I was 21 i was on it for 2 years at the time and not able to understand the meaning of what was happening.

Sorry, I hope I don't freak anyone out.

They should be. I know with Dilantin, tests are done to check for bone density (osteoporosis), liver enzymes and gum lines (dentists want to check on you more frequently).

Like most everything else, there are degrees of competence. Some doctors are more diligent than others.

Thanks I get a physical every year. I'll make sure my primary care physican checks liver and whatever else should be checked.

Personally I don't even believe they know the long term effects. Plus, what about these poor people on more than one medication. Do they have research for that? How about three? Makes me shake my head to think we are putting our faith in a system that takes money from pharmaceutical companies.

How did I get so cynical? I think it was watching my daughter disintegrate from the use of drugs. Never being offered other therapies, and natural methods being frowned upon.

Interesting to me, now that I have followed my instincts she is more controlled.

Well, having a blood test every year and bone density tests sound like a good proactive thing to do with these drugs. :doctor:

That is about all that is in my control to do right now.

Personally I don't even believe they know the long term effects. Plus, what about these poor people on more than one medication. Do they have research for that? How about three? Makes me shake my head to think we are putting our faith in a system that takes money from pharmaceutical companies.

How did I get so cynical? I think it was watching my daughter disintegrate from the use of drugs. Never being offered other therapies, and natural methods being frowned upon.

Interesting to me, now that I have followed my instincts she is more controlled.

Looks like another sleepless night for me, thanks alot Robin!

Why are you apologizing?

You simply stated how you felt....and there's nothing wrong with that, Robin.:clap::clap:

Problem is some folks can't understand me when I have my foot stuck in my mouth.
It is my opinion, and the truth from my perspective. I have not been in others shoes nor they mine.

I think I might have just sent Wally back to the Library for more research. So the night lights will be burning. At least that is what I hope his response means

:gnite: With an avatar like this, how can you take any of my posts seriously anyway?

Last edited:
Because you have proven to be serious at times.
I do love that avatar quite a lot. It seriously puts a smile on my face.

Because you have proven to be serious at times.
I do love that avatar quite a lot. It seriously puts a smile on my face.

It's my real picture, it just looks funny cuz I just got a really bad haircut...........

It's my real picture, it just looks funny cuz I just got a really bad haircut...........

Luckily hair grows quickly.
Curious as to what you were thinking about when that picture was taken?

I'm cynical, too....

Robin,

I agree with you. No one actually does know the long term effects of these nasty meds. And the pharmaceuticals are making the BIG $$!! That's my 2 :twocents:.

Cindy

I've always had a problem with the docs that just want to increase the meds or add another one for that very reason. They do not know the long term effects, especially on the newer ones. (So far, my docs haven't bothered to try to find why I have seizures, just dope me up. GRRRR!)

I had been on Keppra for about 2 years when I (surprise) found myself pregnant with our youngest son. I immediately got online and researched the effects of keppra on the fetus, only to find that there was no information--only strong suggestions to "speak with your doctor immediately". I was a nervous wreck because I couldn't get in to see the doc for 3 weeks...When I finally got in to see my neuro, he read the package insert and let me know that I was on a very low dose, so the effects would likely be nil. However, he continued, in lab rats, high doses led to lower inteligence, and slow physical development of the child. How comforting *sarcasm*

Thank God, he's a healthy, active 2 year old. If the drug hasn't been on the market long enough to know the effect on the human fetus, it hasn't been on the market long enough to know the long-term effects. (Sorry, that's one of my pet peeves)

Last edited:
I've always had a problem with the docs that just want to increase the meds or add another one for that very reason. They do not know the long term effects, especially on the newer ones. (So far, my docs haven't bothered to try to find why I have seizures, just dope me up. GRRRR!)

I had been on Keppra for about 2 years when I (surprise) found myself pregnant with our youngest son. I immediately got online and researched the effects of keppra on the fetus, only to find that there was no information--only strong suggestions to "speak with your doctor immediately". I was a nervous wreck because I couldn't get in to see the doc for 3 weeks...When I finally got in to see my neuro, he read the package insert and let me know that I was on a very low dose, so the effects would likely be nil. However, he continued, in lab rats, high doses led to lower inteligence, and slow physical development of the child. How comforting *sarcasm*

Thank God, he's a healthy, active 2 year old. If the drug hasn't been on the market long enough to know the effect on the human fetus, it hasn't been on the market long enough to know the long-term effects. (Sorry, that's one of my pet peeves)

Yup, treat the symptoms and ignore the real cause!
To make matters even worse the drug companies list every possible side effect under the sun just to cover their butts and scare the crap out of us. I had no idea that Keppra can cause pregnancy too, I didn't see that one on the list. Now I'm really scared...........

Back
Top Bottom