Thinking of switching from Keppra

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

slipping

New
Reaction score
I've been on keppra since Dec of 2010 and it's been upped once in that time frame (from 1000mg to 1250mg). When I first started taking it I suffered from the kepprage (going from chill to *RAGE* in 0.01 seconds flat). As time went on I got a better grasp on it and I'm able to control my side effects better but lately I've been thinking of changing my meds because I remember what I was like pre-keppra and what I'm like now. I was definitely full of life then and now I just feel like I'm exhausting all of my energy to control the side effects.

The only thing I'm scared of and it's made me changing my mind on switching before is that I've got great control over my seizures, I've never had a seizure while on my medicine. I also don't want to loose my license for another 6 months because I know I'll have a seizure in the transition phase.

So whats your take e-friends? Should I make the switch?

Hi slipping, welcome to CWE!

If your seizures are "medication-responsive" -- i.e., controlled by the first med you tried -- then there's a good chance they will respond to other anti-seizure meds as well. There are no guarantees of course, but if the potential reward is having your "old self" back, then you may feel that it outweighs any risks associated with transitioning to a new med.

What makes you think you will automatically have a seizure during the transition phase? Most transitions are done slowly to monitor how you are feeling throughout, with a simultaneous taper-down and ramp-up, so you should be safe. At the very least, have a discussion with your neuro about your options. There are quite a few meds out there, many of which are less likely to have mood-related side effects.

Best,
Nakamova

Hi slipping, welcome :)

You sound like you're in the 'rock and hard-place' many of us feel about our meds- keppra especially. It can be great at contolling a wide range of seizures, and works for a lot of people. But does come with a price for a lot of people as well :(

You've definately got the same side effects as me from it, and it's great you've managed to get a handle on it- took me years to control the kepprage, and I still explode now and then. I've been on it since the mid 90s, (only 500mg twice a day) but I've never upped my dose of it even tho it's got less effective at controlling my seizures- I just don't think I could cope with it, guess I'm just not as strong-minded as a lot of people.

As nak said tho, sounds like you could carefully change to something else, and while you're right to be worried about seizure effects during the cross-over, if it's done slowly it's more than likely it will go smoothly.

We all have different side-effects from different meds, and hey, life's a gamble anyway- I'm one who's prepared to have more seizures and a slightly better quality of life, but then I don't have to worry about losing my license...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom