Throw another shrimp on the barbie!!!!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
A few days ago, I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. This is on top of my new diagnosis of Temporal Lobe Epilepsy with secondary generalized seizures. They have now put me on seroquel in addition to the keppra.

The funniest thing is that I almost didn't write this post due to my own stigma about bipolar (which sounds so much better than manic depressive). And then I got to looking at it.

Have any of you heard of/do any of you have interictal dysphoric disorder (IDD). Apparently it is like bipolar, but for people with epilepsy if that makes any sense.

Maybe I am just looking for a way to get out of having another lable and a new pill bottle. They are both so alike that its hard to tell.

Anyone?

I would say I would describe myself more as manic/euphoric. A buildup period where you just know the rage is coming, then something sparks it and I blow up. This usually results in destructive behavior (braking things, holes in walls, verbal abuse, etc..). The, as if nothing happened, I will be not only ok, but better than before. Happy, and ready to have fun. As you can imagine this can be quite a ride for the family. This will often result in me either taking off (walking now since my E diagnosis), or isolating myself somewhere. Needless to say, the added stress of the TLE diagnosis, the T/C's, and the meds haven't made this any better.

Hey there,

I know that some folks here also have IDD..I am pretty sure. Don't get hung up on labels. If it is helping you..who the hell cares! I am totally over what other people think. Pretty much everyone you talk to has something, right?You have a great sense of humor, I can tell by your shrimps on the barbie!! That is a great attitude!
I hope the new med will help and that your seizures are doing better and things are balancing out. Do you have some limes for the corona and the shrimp? I don't drink anymore.(well..since I was much younger).but I love corona and lime and vodka tonics or tanqueray and tonic in the summer.
I guess I'll stick with some shrimp!! Sounds good! You take care!

Michelle

I have never been a big drinker, maybe one or two a month if that. But I LOVE Red Bull, and when I do drink a beer, it is usually a corona with lime!

The other day, I made my wife quite angry. In a fit of rebellion, I drank a Red Bull, and the that evening drank a 32oz Corona. She was pissed!! Luckily I didn't have any ill effects, but I do regret taking the chance.

Maybe I do have bipolar, that seems pretty damn impulsive, without the consideration of consequences to me!! Who knows, I'll just use good 'ol fashioned crazy!!

I know..I did drink in my younger yrs..not that I am old..only 41, but I would love a glass of wine or a cool drink in the summer even though I don't drink now. Ya just can't make non-alcoholic vodka tonics with lime that taste the same!! I take a sip here or there of somebody elses. Doesn't the red bull really make you feel worse with all the caffeine? That can bring on seizures. I cheat here and there on tea or very rarely a coke, but sometimes I feel it later too. Your wife loves you! Good thing she was pissed..someone needs to keep you in line!! Ha! We all have our moments. I have never even tried a red bull. Tell your wife to keep up the good work!! : )

Michelle

In a fit of rebellion, I drank a Red Bull, and the that evening drank a 32oz Corona. She was pissed!! Luckily I didn't have any ill effects, but I do regret taking the chance.

Are you still drinking Red Bull?
Have you considered stopping that completely and seeing if some of your side effects don't go away?
I have not met a neurologist yet that thinks it is a good idea to drink Red Bull if one has a seizure disorder. You are throwing chemicals on top of chemicals on top of chemicals. These are neurotoxins and can change brain function. Actually kills brain neurons in some circumstances.

Just my opinion...

Hey there, Wow........

BTW, I LOVE your screen name. It's cute. hehe.

Oh, yippee, another dx, huh? Sorry about that. But at least you now know what's going on. And yes, bipolar and IDD are very much alike. Georgia's right.....there are several on here with IDD, and there are several on here with bipolar too.

I like alcohol, too, but I rarely drink anymore......and the last time I was drunk? Mmmmmmmm. Yeah. Well, That was 3 years ago. I didn't have a seizure or anything afterwards, but I won't do that again. I hurt too much after that go-round. URGGGGGGG. I LOVE Long Island Iced Teas........*SIGH*:roflmao:

Red bull is my one downfall...i have found that I can have 2 a day, and it helps lower the amount of szs I have (the taurine maybe) but if I have any more than that I'm off with extra seizures...I have tested myself by eliminating it for 2 weeks, at the rate of 2 a day, it makes no difference to me... I should note that I don't drink ANY coffee OR tea OR coke/pepsi as I dont like the taste, so the ONLY caffeine i have is from the red bull...still, I know it's probably the one baddie in my diet but i just cant eliminate it, as without ANY other caffeine...no morning cuppa like everyone else...I don't think I could function what with the tiredness from the AED's. Also, I have just been diagnosed bi-polar as a side effect of the topamax, hence the massive dose reduction and the increase in seizures and my week long absence from here.As I refused to take the lithium my doctor suggested as I feel that 1200mg/gabapentin per day and whatever extra med they decide to put me on when they rid me of the EVIL topamax, that that is more than enough!!

Back
Top Bottom