Are Tinnitus and Epilepsy Related?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Tinnitus can be exacerbated by high blood pressure. High blood pressure can be an expression of low magnesium. Magnesium supplementation has been reported to help with both tinnitus and epilepsy (not all cases of course - YMMV).

My diet includes adequete amounts of magnesium...mostly from spinach...but exactly how much magnesium does one need to help combat epilepsy??? I mean of course it's entirely subjective but i haven't noticed much difference since before my magnesium intake was lower except of course feeling more drowsy/dizzy ever since my Depakote dosage was increased...maybe this doesn't apply to my case or maybe i need to intake even more??? What do you think Bernard? Thanks :)

Last edited:
Magnesium isn't a magic solution for all cases. If you think you might be deficient, you can try supplementing and see if it helps. Magnesium toxicity usually presents as loose stools, so if that happens, you've gone too far.

Boston Medical College had a very interesting article published I believe in 2012, and they talk of just what happens with a tinnitus persons ears and some things which can cause and/or make it worse. Yes I have it myself and I found two of my medications and another thing (presently do not remember what it was) that is on the list of this article, as potential causes. Presently I am out doing photography at a two day festival so I cannot share a link to this article, but early next week I'd love to share it. It is very interesting to read for those like me who deal with tinnitus in their life.

Magnesium isn't a magic solution for all cases. If you think you might be deficient, you can try supplementing and see if it helps. Magnesium toxicity usually presents as loose stools, so if that happens, you've gone too far.

Lol "a magic solution for all cases" that's funny...and nope not having loose stools...then again I am not constipated either...FIBER POWER!

Thanks Bernard :D

I do have a problem with my ears especially the right one. I have partial-complex right temporal lobe. My head hurts on that side and my ear feels very full like there is water in it. It makes it hard to concentrate

"Some drugs that can cause or worsen tinnitus

Aspirin and other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, including ibuprofen (Motrin) and naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn)

Certain antibiotics, including ciprofloxacin (Cipro), doxycycline (Vibramycin, others), gentamicin (Garamycin), erythromycin (Ery-Tab, others), tetracycline (Sumycin), tobramycin (Nebcin), and vancomycin (Vancocin)

Antimalarial drugs such as chloroquine and quinine

Benzodiazepines such as alprazolam (Niravam, Xanax), diazepam (Valium), lorazepam (Ativan), and clonazepam (Klonopin)

Certain anticonvulsants, including carbamazepine (Tegretol, others) and valproic acid (Depakote, others)

Certain cancer drugs, including cisplatin (Platinol) and vincristine (Oncovin, Vincasar)

Loop diuretics, especially when given intravenously, including bumetanide (Bumex), furosemide (Lasix), and torsemide (Demadex)

Tricyclic antidepressants such as amitriptyline (Elavil, others), clomipramine (Anafranil), and imipramine (Tofranil)"

Thank you Cadsgj - I copied the above from the article.

I take several of the above medications. I have had tinnitus since a small child, but some of the above medications make it 'worse'.
:)

Was still suffering the complex partial's and have had the ringing in the ears on and off for years. It used to occur when i went psychotic, one of the symptoms, scary for me! Now though, control has been gained and the sound is back, scary! Thought i was going psychotic! This has happened in times of stress! I was not surprised to hear Topamax and Keppra and Tegretol, that is the most common front liners! After reading though i was reminded that low med lack of sleep and stress are the catalysts for seizures. I.B.S don't help! I have epilepsy compounded by IBS. Low med and stress could be giving me this sound along with what was said earlier, lack of certain nutrients! Veggie too! (not by choice, can't break the spell from childhood) any ideas welcome, thanks!

i have bad tinnitus and PAIN with loud or decenntly loud sounds. so i have to be careful with the d**8 computer headphones cause i forget if the sound is loud

stress with high pitch sound in my ears!

I don't think i have a condition of the ear. I think i have a condition of the brain! and to be more specific the sub-conscious stressed out feelings that i am trying to bottle up!
After an operation being successful then not being successful after a year and three quarter i think that stress is now showing. Especially after my latest change in medication has produced a thirteen week fit free gap so far since my last seizure!
In that after seizure free operation time it was the first time i had ever learnt to drive and gave me that freedom. my kids loved it as well as myself! So now going this long is stressful.
I also run a soccer team, training and matches another stress as the age group want to win although under 14's!!!!

I know stress is to be avoided but the further i go maybe the more i should talk about it just being a longer frequency, so maybe the stress will lessen! who knows, suppose i will give it a go!

Abstract:
Background: Recent studies in noise-induced and idiopathic sensorineural hearing loss have suggested that magnesium supplementation may lessen both hearing loss and the severity of tinnitus in patients. Further epidemiological evidence indicates that all age groups of Americans fall short of the recommended daily allowance for magnesium by 100 mg daily. Purpose: The purpose of this study was to examine any potential benefit in lessening the severity of tinnitus in patients taking supplemental magnesium. Research Design: The study was a single-arm, open-label, before-and-after study of oral magnesium (532 mg per day) in 26 patients for 3 months. Tinnitus severity was evaluated and recorded daily by the patient using the Tinnitus Distress Rating (TDR) scale of 0 (no tinnitus) to 10 (worst possible tinnitus). The Tinnitus Handicap Inventory (THI) was administered before and at the end of the study, and scores were converted to the grades of the 5-item Tinnitus Severity Scale (TSS). The purpose of this phase 2 study was to investigate whether the treatment was effective at all, and, as such, a placebo control was not performed. All data were collected at Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Arizona, between March 6 and December 10, 2008. Study Sample: Patients with moderate to very severe tinnitus (TDR score of 3 through 8). Intervention: Daily magnesium supplementation, 532 mg; patient completion of the THI; and daily self-report of TDR. Data Collection and Analysis: The main outcome measures were mean TDR scale scores and THI scores as converted to TSS grades. The primary analysis was done on the basis of intention to treat. Results: Twenty-six patients were enrolled; 19 completed the study. The extent of handicap, as measured by THI/TSS, for subjects with slight or greater impairment was significantly decreased (P=.03). Patients who ranked slight or greater on the THI/TSS before intervention showed a significant decrease in the severity of their tinnitus at post-testing (P=.008). Conclusion: The results suggest that magnesium may have a beneficial effect on perception of tinnitus-related handicap when scored with the THI.

http://www.tinnitusjournal.com/detalhe_artigo.asp?id=487

A mineral found in spinach and other green leafy vegetables is being used to treat people with chronic tinnitus — characterised by an inexplicable ringing or buzzing in the ears.
Researchers believe the mineral magnesium plays a key role in protecting our hearing system and that supplements taken daily will reduce tinnitus.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1359265/Daily-pill-stop-ringing-ears.html#ixzz2kMDUdje4

Tinnitus, also known as ringing in the ears, has troubled many individuals throughout the country. However, it turns out one of the best remedies for tinnitus is actually dietary changes. In fact, many people have had more success diet than anything else that changes in diet are being hailed the best tinnitus cure. There are a variety of dietary changes that individuals and even researchers have shown can reduce tinnitus symptoms and even cure tinnitus.

The most effective things so far have been phosphatidylcholine, phosphatidyl serine, and fish oil. These are all very rich sources of fatty acids that are used in the construction of cellular membranes. This makes communications between nerves more efficient and allows receptors to work more efficiently.

The theory is that tinnitus may be caused or amplified by misfiring nerve circuits or misreadings amongst those nerve circuits. By adding in these fatty acids to the diet, nerve function can improve and reduce the symptoms of tinnitus.

However, supplements are not only digestive aid for tinnitus. Following an anti-inflammatory, no-grain diet as we recommend may also improve tinnitus symptoms by reducing inflammation and improve blood profiles. Pulsatile tinnitus, a common variation of tinnitus, has a strong link with blood pressure. It is only natural that a no-grain diet rich in fruits, vegetables, omega 3 fatty acids and other anti-inflammatories and blood pressure savers could reduce the tinnitus. Try out these digestive tips today for your tinnitus!
http://www.dcddiscs.com/a-digestive-tinnitus-cure/

Last edited:
JeffD I see you also take keppra. I did a search yesterday and there are some findings of ears ringing and deafness with keppra users. 22 deaf reports on FDA site. I went to an audiologist and I have slight hearing loss. Ringing is getting worst. I see a new neurologist in 2 weeks and maybe I can request a change in meds. I'm pretty sure my dosage is too high too.

Last edited:
I had a stroke on the right side of my brain and started having partial seizures within 24 hours of the stroke. Most of my symptoms are on the left side (weak and/ or tingling in arm and/or leg. A year later the phantom odors started. I also have a ringing or whooshing sound in my right ear and once heard a loud explosion in one ear right as I was falling asleep. My husband didn't hear it so I know it was not real. I don't know the noises are related to seizures or not.

Has anyone ever had a whooshing sound in their neck or ear that was actually audible to others? I have a friend that started having lots of problems after a very bad head injury. She has been to some of the best neurologists and no one can find anything wrong with her. She was able to record the noise on her phone and her husband has heard it. Could this be related to the injury. Before the injury she has completely healthy. she ran marathons and did triathlons. Now she is at a different doctor ever month trying to figure out what is wrong.

Tinnitus can be exacerbated by high blood pressure. High blood pressure can be an expression of low magnesium. Magnesium supplementation has been reported to help with both tinnitus and epilepsy (not all cases of course - YMMV).

I currently take magnesium but I know it takes time to work. I am taking 2 types - Mag glycinate and CogniMag (Pure Encapsulations) which has the type of magnesium that passes the blood brain barrier.

I also have a ringing or whooshing sound in my right ear and once heard a loud explosion in one ear right as I was falling asleep.

Has anyone ever had a whooshing sound in their neck or ear that was actually audible to others? I have a friend ...She was able to record the noise on her phone and her husband has heard it. Could this be related to the injury. Before the injury she has completely healthy. she ran marathons and did triathlons. Now she is at a different doctor ever month trying to figure out what is wrong.

Pulsile Tinnitus, or a whooshing sound in time to one's heartbeat, is possibly a sign of Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension (IIH) or other related disorders. Whiplash or other accident injuries are known to sometimes trigger IIH. It's IIH is rare (1 in about 100,000 people), but pulsile tinnitus like your friend has is also rare. I've never heard of anybody else being able to hear it, other than the person in question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiopathic_intracranial_hypertension

If it were me, I'd head to the nearest teaching hospital's neurology department to try to get it figured out.

http://www.ihrfoundation.org/

Pulsile Tinnitus, or a whooshing sound in time to one's heartbeat, is possibly a sign of Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension (IIH) or other related disorders. Whiplash or other accident injuries are known to sometimes trigger IIH. It's IIH is rare (1 in about 100,000 people), but pulsile tinnitus like your friend has is also rare. I've never heard of anybody else being able to hear it, other than the person in question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiopathic_intracranial_hypertension

If it were me, I'd head to the nearest teaching hospital's neurology department to try to get it figured out.

http://www.ihrfoundation.org/
Thank you. She has been to the Neuro-Science Center in Cincinnati, OH and the Cleveland Clinic in OH. She is going somewhere in Indianapolis on Monday. I will mention the Idiopathic interracial hypertension to her. I thought she possibly has acquired Chiari Malformation.

Last edited:
For me, loud ringing in my right ear is a sign of a Big One coming on, the kind that can cause accidents in the wrong situations. I'm pretty sure my trigger is in my auditory nerves in my right ear, I'm hard of hearing, neurological loss. If I start hearing a mild ringing that gets louder, I know it's a good idea for me to stay indoors.

My ears ring on and off, particularly since last sz, but I find it seems to be more related to elevation (I live at 1000 ft above sea level and work at sea level and the hill's pretty steep, I have loud Harley pipes which don't help, and yes I take all my vitamins and eat a mostly healthy diet (hey, chocolate prevents lots of bad stuff). So it's annoying, but sudafed helps me a little.

My ears ring on and off, particularly since last sz, but I find it seems to be more related to elevation (I live at 1000 ft above sea level and work at sea level and the hill's pretty steep, I have loud Harley pipes which don't help, and yes I take all my vitamins and eat a mostly healthy diet (hey, chocolate prevents lots of bad stuff). So it's annoying, but sudafed helps me a little.

When I use to ride the Harley with my husband the noise never bothered me. Only after my first seizure 12/2012 did the ringing start and got worst months later. Do you think the sudafed reduces the ringing?

Back
Top Bottom