Tonic seizure.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Jezy

New
Reaction score
Just a little venting, had a tonic seizure yesterday, with the holidays coming and all that associated stress that's all I had need to start having this time of year.

I hope you didn't fall and injure yourself. I have tonic seizures as well but they are nocturnal. Do you lose consciousness with yours? I have no idea if I do because, well, I'm asleep when they happen!

Feel better soon.

Thanks, most of mine are nocturnal too, this was one of my rare morning ones. I lost consciousness but my wife was there to help me. The last time I went to the doctor I asked him if stress was a trigger and he said it is only a indirect trigger if it causes a lack of sleep. I think it is a direct cause what is your opinion. Have a happy Thanksgiving.

A Happy Thanksgiving to you, too, Jezy.

For me, I cannot determine any particular triggers. I can have a totally harassing day where I'm ready to pull my hair out and not have a nocturnal seizure that night, and I can have a perfectly awesome stress-free day of relaxation and fun and then have a cluster of 3-4 nocturnal seizures. And of course everything in between.
If I had to guess it would be an accumulation of factors that lead to seizures for me, and that is why identifying triggers is so difficult.

My neurologist also believes that stress is not a direct cause of seizures, and that it is what stress does that triggers a seizure (lack of sleep as your doc mentioned, influence of some kind of hormone that is released when one is stressed for too long, and other things we might do when we are under stress like not eat properly).

I tend to have more seizures during the holidays. I think it's because there is usually more stress going on at that time of the year, stress is a big seizure trigger for me.

After the holidays my seizures always go back to normal.

Hope so, I see my doctor on Monday. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

There's no doubt in my mind that stress causes seizures. It may be more physiological than psychological, but it happens. Both long term stressors (like work) and immediate ones (like getting mad) will do it.

Take care and be good to yourself Jezy.

I know that sleep deprivation can trigger my girls seizures, when she has not rested she gets very grumpy.
But there is times despite a bowel friendly diet and she is happy there comes a seizure with no warning.
Very frustrating for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom