Topamax

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hey All,
Hoping someone has some info for me. Had a Dr. appt yesterday and he's decided to add Topamax. He's starting me with a childrens dose cuz I don't react well to most meds. He warned me that one of the side effects is having trouble "finding my words". I talk for a living and am gernerally talkive person. I'm scared! I know its lame, my bf says I'm borrowing trouble, but the last time I gave up my meds was because I felt like I was losing myself. I don't want to face that again. I read up on it last night but it was just information. I was hoping that some one here has some personal experiance.
I'm trying not to work myself up (stress=bad) but it feels like I'm back where I started. 1rst one drug then another and another, all of a sudden I don't know where the meds stop and I begin or vice versa.
:dontknow:

oh, i totally just wrote a post about that in teh library, about the meds maker Johnson and Johnson

I take Topomax, 200 mg a day, along with Keppra, and at times I have trouble finding words, but I used to be on a much higher dosage of Topomax and I would lose my train of thought mid-sentence or just couldn't remember what I was talking about. I'm doing much better now.

I also take topamax and it is at 50mg per day and I take that for migraines. I don't seem to have any side effects I usually have some type of side effects from my medications. I also take other meds with the topamax so maybe I just don't notice I would not be too worried. If the side effects get too bad talk to your doctor. you will find something that will work.

They who have conquered doubt and fear have conquered failure. —JAMES ALLEN :banana:

Last edited:
I take

100 mg in the morning and evening, and sure I lose some words here and there, but I'm also on a number of meds (you wouldn't believe how many), so it can't be proven that it's the Topomax in my case. Even if it is, the problem really isn't TOO bad, and didn't take too long to get used to....

Good luck!!!

Don't worry in a week or two most of the side effects start to go away. I was on Topamax 3 years ago and now back on it and I know just how you feel. So if you need moral support I am here for you. I am currently at 100 mg now.

tam bam

Hi, I know how you feel, i'm starting the drug hop as well...

I'm currently on 125mg of Topamax once a day, and topamax alone- so i can say that it is the cause of my "word finding" difficulties and my memory problems. I was at 150mg, but I don't tolerate meds well, so it was lowered.

Before starting the medication I had never taken medication and was considerably "sharp", but now my memory is kind of off. As Clint said, I too lose my train of thought and can't remember what i'm talking about (at all). I carry a notebook in my bag and I write down everything; Lists, names, ideas...and then I check it later.

It's worth a go though, asides the memory thing, I find the med to be fairly controlling? We'll all be here for you whatever you decide!

ps-did you read the note that said the word finding difficulty and memory problems would likely go away when off the drug?:ponder:

I just wanted to say thanks all for listening. So far so good, I go up to my full dose today but its only 50 mg. Heres hoping that this is the answer.
Anyone noticed any mood changes on Topamax? I haven't felt this good in quite sometime! Don't know if its the season, the new cat or the new drug!

Last edited:
I take Topamax. I've also had brain surgery and have had trouble figuring out the right words to say for years. I plan carefully what I'm going to say before I say it. I don't think it's the Topamax though. I'll have to has DH if it's gotten worse since I started taking it. Until i got on the Topamax my seizures were uncontrolled. I've had relatively few side effects.

Back
Top Bottom