Topamax and Mexican Food

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

vaberella

New
Reaction score
OMG!!! They do not mix.

Hi guys, I'm new here...called V. I was feeling great early this week. Aside from the diarrhea; which I don't call it that, since I only go twice in the morning and I'm good for the day. Topamax is great. I'm up to 100mg 2x a day...I'm coherent and despite being slightly slow. I can actively participate in a conversation. I do take notes.

Then I had some Mexican food from a 2 rate mexican place...called Jesus Taco if you're from New York. Cheap Mexican. OMG....people absence & myclonic seizures all over the place. Nauseaness, drowsiness, fallen a few times---wondering how I ended up on the floor. It's like all the Mexican food triggered all the negative things that Topamax gives you. I had to put Jesus and just basically all Mexican food as triggers. It's not to say cornmeal is bad. Tostitos are fine for me, I'm fine.

Currently, absence is gone so that's fine and my myclonic have minimized greatly. I'm about to see some salsa hummus, cucumber, and tostitos. Laters.

Vabby:e:

Hey Vabby --

Yikes, doesn't sound like fun! Did the seizures happen right away when you ate the food, or was it a delayed effect?

Hey Vabby --

Yikes, doesn't sound like fun! Did the seizures happen right away when you ate the food, or was it a delayed effect?

I had some juice on an empty something first. I don't know if it's a trigger (yet) since I normally drink Kedem which is all natural (kosher). Then I had the tacos and taco salad (I was really hungry).

Within 5-10 minutes I was down. Dizziness---15, myclonic---all night, woke up myclonic---peeing and drinking water like crazy. At which point I lost track of time because the absence was in full of affect. I couldn't even watch my favorite movie, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (utterly sexist, but I love it). Couldn't speak, couldn't make clear conversation.

Last edited:
Hi v.my goodness Jesus get in everywhere well you could share it out to multitude or eat as you take a stroll on water.
This only suggestion I putting out but what if you stopped taco...Do you mean everyone walking around having New York having some form of sz or you were having them

Well if like jumbolie I had in Newyork down by harbour just about worse thing I tasted.If New Yorkers eating stuff like that then sz least of problems salmonella more pertinent but those hot dogs on pavement stands are gorgous

Might be the juice -- seems awfully fast for any taco ingredients to take effect -- but who knows, maybe they were loaded with msg, or your stomach is extra-sensitive.

I like "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" too -- it has some great energetic choreography!

Hi. Unless this type of reaction has happened to something you ate/drank before, it could be sensitive to an ingredient in that restaurant's food.
I also take Topamax--400mg/day, and Vimpat, 400mg/day. Thankfully, I haven't had food issues. The other side effects are bad enough.

Hi v.my goodness Jesus get in everywhere well you could share it out to multitude or eat as you take a stroll on water.
This only suggestion I putting out but what if you stopped taco...Do you mean everyone walking around having New York having some form of sz or you were having them

Well if like jumbolie I had in Newyork down by harbour just about worse thing I tasted.If New Yorkers eating stuff like that then sz least of problems salmonella more pertinent but those hot dogs on pavement stands are gorgous

Luckily for me, I was at home when this was going on. My mum is 70 and couldn't get off the toilet. I'm like...I can't help you. But I needed to pee so bad; as I needed to pee my myoclonic was in full affect.

I had a nice lovely absence fall on the way. I gave up after hearing her pleading to God for the 20th time and went in...this is her response, "I don't want your help. You're all trembling. You're worse off than me." My own mother. :roll: Talk about side eye.

Might be the juice -- seems awfully fast for any taco ingredients to take effect -- but who knows, maybe they were loaded with msg, or your stomach is extra-sensitive.

I like "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" too -- it has some great energetic choreography!
Yeah, I adore that movie.
It could have been the juice. I'm just going to avoid the whole thing just because I don't know what it was exactly and I don't want to take any chances. It took me two days to recover.

Hi. Unless this type of reaction has happened to something you ate/drank before, it could be sensitive to an ingredient in that restaurant's food.
I also take Topamax--400mg/day, and Vimpat, 400mg/day. Thankfully, I haven't had food issues. The other side effects are bad enough.

I have two side effects from topamax: mental clarity and my eye sight has gotten worst (I had astigmatism before that). Oh good the gods, I worry about that. I have so many tests coming up and I can't keep names and ideas and information in my head like I used to. I just can't. Maybe, things will clear up once my fully off the onfi. I hated the onfi.

Last edited:
I had lost most (85%) of my hair in an allergic reaction to Tegretol when I was just 14. Now, I'm losing what is left thanks to Topamax. If I buy a baseball hat, it has to be adjustable--"one size" types w/elastic are too loose! I often joke with my husband that soon he will have more hair than I do.

Back
Top Bottom