Topamax Side Effect

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

It's a tough choice, and of course only one you can make. I think most people try a few different seizure meds, switching either to find better seizure or control or fewer side effects. I tried three, and am happy with the third (Lamictal). For me I think cognitive issues might be a dealbreaker, and if there were still meds or other things to try, I would.

Ask yourself:
1. If you had to put up with these side effects for another few years, could you?
2. Is there a better or worse time for you to be unable to drive? If you can plan ahead for when that might be, would you be able to stay on the Topamax until then?
3. How many meds have you tried? Is the Topamax the worst in terms of side effects? The best in terms of seizure control?
4. How many other meds would you consider trying? Is something like CBD oil an option?

I just try to live with it. In fact, I just had 2 CPs (complex partials) in the past 2 days! Yesterday, I had one while doing something in my room/bathroom. I had gone there to put laundry away, & the next thing I knew, the shower liner was completely ripped out. This morning, I went in my bathroom to change my clothes, & I 'came to' on the floor!

Yeah I have trouble with words often and terrible light headedness, like I'm in a dream state all of the time.
How bad is your epilepsy I wouldn't recommend taking nothing, you can get a medical exemption card in where you don't pay anything for prescription, I have one and I don't pay for any prescriptions at all.
I can understand why you don't with all the horrible symptoms because I feel the same when It gets too much.
Just be very careful.

Back
Top Bottom