Topomax Crazy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

zook

New
Reaction score
Hello. I need some guidance here. Currently, I'm on Dilantin and Topomax (200 mg). Dr hasn't cut my Dilantin off yet, just in case Topomax doesn't work out but the goal is to get off of Dilantin permanently. My main problem is that I am very angry. Every little imperfection drives me nuts. I'm really sick of this. I feel like I'm incapable of dealing with day to day issues with my kids. I'm at the edge of a precipice and any little thing will make me fall. I can't say that I feel sad or depressed, but being angry isn't a happy feeling either. I don't know how much longer I can take this. Has anyone else experienced this on Topomax? I looked on line and discussed it with my doctor. But anger doesn't seem to be on anyone's radar. Dr. tells me to give it some time or gives me the option to change. But all the other meds have problems too. I've tried Tegretol, Lemictol, and a bunch of other once. The all sucked...no clue what to do next.

Hi Zook,
Welcome to CWE.
How long have you been on the Topomax? Did you notice your mood change after you started on the Topomax?

I was on Topomax from 2006 - 2008, I didn't notice any problems with my moods while on it. The only real side effect I found from the Topomax was that I lost my appetite & lost a bit of weight.
I have never tried Dilantin so don't know what sort of side effects it can cause.

Hope things improve & your neuro can work out something to help with your seizures.

Hi zook, welcome to CWE!

Are there any other factors that might be playing a role (like low blood sugar, fatigue, stress)? If not, and you can't find any other cause for the crankiness, then the Topomax is a likely culprit. All the brain meds can have powerful, unpredictable side effects. You might ask about backing off the Topomax slightly to see if that helps.

Don't know if it's an option for you, but neurofeedback might be worth trying if you run out of med options (or even if you don't).

Best
Nakamova

Back
Top Bottom