Traveling with E - Emergency Meds

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

resaebiunne

Stalwart
Reaction score
Just thought I would share what my epileptologist did for me this morning. You may have caught my post about my travels a while back. Well I got scripts for all my meds. Of course the insurance fights getting the meds refilled, so you have to deal with that... but depending on your insurance you can get what's called a vacation override and it will allow you to get a refill of medications before a certain time limit has elapsed. It all depends on your insurance so you have to check.

Anyway, the more important thing was, my doctor gave me a prescription for clonazepam. So if I go into status epilepticus during my trip I have emergency medication to try. This is extremely important because we will be in the remote Peruvian Amazon and it will be hours to the nearest hospital, and even there they will have limited resources.

It's good to know I have backup medication just in case. :clap:

So if you're going on a trip like this, maybe a cruise, or a trip to Africa or something, consider seeing your doctor and getting some emergency medication, it can't hurt. :twocents: :woot:

Hi Res,

Thanks for this info. I will have to check with my insurance co. to see if they can provide the same thing. I want to go on a vacation to Austrailia next yr. Here's wishing you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

It's good to know I have backup medication just in case. :clap:

So if you're going on a trip like this, maybe a cruise, or a trip to Africa or something, consider seeing your doctor and getting some emergency medication, it can't hurt. :twocents: :woot:

I've been to Europe twice and I have Type 1 Diabetes as well as epilepsy. I saw both my epileptologist and my endocrinologist before my trips so I could make sure I would have all my meds and insulin supplies. I also had a letter from my endo stating that I was allowed to take the insulin supplies(needles, etc), too. Some places are very strict when going thru check-in, so it is good to have a note from your doctor, too.

Check this website for more info:

https://www.epilepsy.com/learn/mana...pting-plans-travel/types-travel-and-vacations

If you haven't taken that med before, be aware it is also classified as a date rape drug. My Neuro gave me a few for emergencies in case my brain got to active (his words). My husband gave me one once when I wax having some petit meals and I don't remember anything for the following 24 hours. My Neuro here (We moved to a different state) was surprised and said those could fry your brain. I'm on Vimpat, lamotragine and keppra, the newer drugs work better for me, few if any side effects

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

If you haven't taken that med before, be aware it is also classified as a date rape drug. My Neuro gave me a few for emergencies in case my brain got to active (his words). My husband gave me one once when I wax having some petit meals and I don't remember anything for the following 24 hours. My Neuro here (We moved to a different state) was surprised and said those could fry your brain. I'm on Vimpat, lamotragine and keppra, the newer drugs work better for me, few if any side effects

Clonazepam (also known as Klonopin) is prescribed for depression, too. My ex was taking it for that reason. It is a tranquilizer in the benzo class of drugs, so if taken long-term, it can be addictive.

Just out of curiosity when you are travelling overseas do you have to make sure you have enough meds for while you are away or can you get your scripts filled wherever you are visiting?

I'm in Australia so understand it would be different to America, my scripts are printed so I just take them to the chemist.

I bring my own, don't like to chance generics I'm not use to (different manufacturer ). I try to bring more than I need in case of emergency. When my dad died we didn't have enough with and had to scramble to get some.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

If I ask him, my neuro will prescribe an extra rx of my meds to take with me while traveling outside the country. Even inside the U.S. it can be a good idea, since there's no guarantee you can get your meds quickly if you lose them or run out.

If I ask him, my neuro will prescribe an extra rx of my meds to take with me while traveling outside the country. Even inside the U.S. it can be a good idea, since there's no guarantee you can get your meds quickly if you lose them or run out.
I’ve never been out of Australia, only been to see family usually fir a couple of weeks and that’s been while.

I’m on a lot more meds since I last went away :pfft: but when I used to go away I would fill my pill box for the week then take a few extra sheets of meds.

Last edited:
i always have a DR note

Ive gone to Italy and forgot everything.....

But i did get ahold of my DR in Italy and got int'l scripts and was able to buy all my meds

Thanks for the heads-up about the date rape drug. I had not heard that! I will be in the remote jungle in Peru, there will be no pharmacies there. All of my medications that I need during my trip I have to pack in advance. Anything that I need that I do not have during the trip such as emergency supplies or emergency refills I will have to obtain via alternative means. Once we are in the jungle it will be very difficult to obtain things without extreme effort.

I'm not sure if I have been on clonazepam before, I may have been on clonazepam however it may have been in a hospital and I do not remember the hospital stay! Go figure!

Have someone else in your party pack say, half of the amount of drugs you will need for the time you will be gone for.

If something happens to your bag or any unforeseen circumstance comes up you will still have some meds.

Back
Top Bottom