treadmill

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

notime

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hi,

I know I made a post earlier about treadmills, but I cannot make up my mind so sorry if it's annoying if I ask twice. Anyway, I am just wondering about getting a treadmill my parents are willing to get one for me. I weigh 280lbs now so that's dangerous.

I understand that I need to lose weight, and I don't like going outside and doing anything like that. I've seen sites that recommends you only use it when people are around, but my father works a lot and so does his girlfriend.

I am afraid that if I use it then I may risk cracking my skull, and if it keeps running then it may damage my legs or arms who knows what. What should I do? I really hate sationary bikes, which is what some medical sites recommends.

My father said that I could tie the key to my hand, and if I fall then it'll stop it, but what if it doesn't? I don't know, I am just paranoid about injuring myself. By the way, I have tonic seizures, at least no shaking as far as I am aware. I get no warnings of seizures, and it's just blank out and I don't remember them. What should I do? I need to lose weight bad.

Hey, notime.

Having the key attached to you only means the treadmill will stop AFTER you make the fall that will propel your feet back and (not to be mean) faceplant into the roller. Its great that you're trying to get your weight under control, but I would be weary even of the stationary bike.

Don't even trust the sites, talk to your doctor about the problem. That will be the only way to go on this one. Until your epilepsy us under control really avoid the treadmill. Even with family around, they can't catch you if the worst comes.

Hey, notime.

Having the key attached to you only means the treadmill will stop AFTER you make the fall that will propel your feet back and (not to be mean) faceplant into the roller. Its great that you're trying to get your weight under control, but I would be weary even of the stationary bike.

Don't even trust the sites, talk to your doctor about the problem. That will be the only way to go on this one. Until your epilepsy us under control really avoid the treadmill. Even with family around, they can't catch you if the worst comes.

My seizures only happen once a month and last few times it was only when I am sleeping and wake up within about 13 minutes I would have seizures. I decided to take the risk, as I am 280lbs and it's dangerous to my health and if my medicine fails my doctor wants me to lose it just in case I have to take depakote. I'll just start off doing it for 5 minutes few times a day, and increase it over few months. I really need to lose weight, epilepsy is already enough for my entire life. I don't want diabetes, high blood pressure or anything else to happen... :(

I'll only do it when my father or his girlfriend who is a nurse is around just in case they have to call 911. Thanks though. :)

No problem. Now don't come back telling me about chipped teef and cracked skulls. ;)

N Sperlo

My neurologist wants me to lose weight, and told me that I need to lose it just incase my medicine fails and I have to take depakote as there is a chance of weight gain. I understand that I may fracture a tooth, crack one, crack my skull, but being obese is extremely dangerous for my health.

I don't get out around people or anything, and the only exercise I get from doing house work and that's not burning much. I know there are risks, and I'll just do it but as I said I'll only do it when somebody is around just so they can call 911 or something if something serious happens or stop the machine, etc. Thanks for the warning though, and no I won't complain about it as it would be my fault. :p

Why not consider a rowing machine? Or better yet skipping? There are so many ways to get cardio benefits without needing a machine to do it! I think we've had this discussion before, but a personal trainer can set you up on a program where you're doing nothing but various body weight exercises that the program can give you a work out where you're huffing and puffing like mad!! A place to start? Gently jog on the spot for 10 min, 15, 30 and so on as you become more fit.

It might be worth trying a supervised dietary plan too. I've found that exercise helps with many things (attitude, overall fitness), but it wasn't until I started a diet that I was able to lose weight. Weight Watchers has a good program if you don't want to do it alone.

Back
Top Bottom