tremors/weakness

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

juzzyk

New
Reaction score
I've recently started noticing my hands shaking when I hold them out straight or try to do something with them. It happens anytime, not anxiety related. Also my arms feel quite weak. I've never had that before, is it something to be concerned about? The other thing is skin sensations like numbness or a hot or cold feeling that comes for a few seconds then goes (just in a small area of skin). Do these sound like partial seizures? I have been feeling really unwell again lately and needing to sleep a lot, after a period of months going really well on this medication.

I'm on Sodium Valproate (Epilim) and wondered if it could be a side effect, however, I've been on this medication for 18 months and this has just started.

I don't have an appointment with my Neurologist til September, so just wondering if I should try to get in earlier.

Sorry to ask, it's just hard to get into my doctor to bring this up. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Last edited:
I don't know. My partials are all on my left side because they originate in the right side of my brain. Everything sounds like partials to me except the fact that it affects both sides of your body.

I have had the hand tremor thing a few times. Mostly that was due to the meds I was on and/or changing. I have tingles on very small patches of my skin that move around in what seems to be a random pattern. I call it faeries dancing on my skin. Usually it is on my arms and more often on the left side.

I have a familial tremor (essential tremor) and i don't have E. My 4 year old daughter developed a tremor after she got up to a higher dose on Lamictal (lamotrigine). Apparently it can be a side effect of some medications.

I suspect it is probably side effects unfortunately. I managed to get an earlier appointment but still have to wait til May so hopefully it won't get too much worse.

I suspect it is probably side effects unfortunately. I managed to get an earlier appointment but still have to wait til May so hopefully it won't get too much worse.

If it makes you feel any better, we noticed my daughters in january, and now that it is march, it seems to have almost completely worn off, so even though it was side effects it was more of a "getting used to it" side effect i guess rather than a permanent one. I hope it winds up being the same for you!

I have had tremors in my hands for a few years now. It started with taking lithium. Now that I'm on anti-D's its gotten a little worse. I notice it most when I have to use my fine motor skills, especially eating, my spoon shakes. When it comes to writing, I tend to print a lot now. Cursive is to challenging and ugly when I'm done. So about the only thing I do in cursive is signing my name.

Back
Top Bottom