Triggers

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Lonewolf

New
Reaction score
I know seizures have triggers but what are the main triggers for everyone here?
Mine is stress, heat and sugar.

Lack of sleep, over heating. There are other things that may be triggers but not consistently.

Stress, lack of sleep and too much caffeine are my main ones.

My main one I believe is memory and forgetting to take my meds...

Frequently seizures do not have recognizable triggers; they just happen no matter how careful one is to control all the potential triggers there are. Do what you can to control what you find seem to be your triggers, but try not to over-apply the various triggers out there to yourself in an effort to prevent seizures. I think it is probably very natural to over-apply triggers at times, but it can interfere with enjoying one's life :)

Hi Lonewolf,

Some of the main triggers are lack of sleep and stress but some of the other triggers can be hormones changing each month, to many carbs or starch foods which can trigger seizures, NutraSweet, and in some cases a person may be photosensitive which means certain colors will trigger seizures or a flashing strobe light, also in some cases a person may be cell phone sensitive which means the frequency that the cell phone uses triggers seizures for the person especially if there are many people using their phone at the same time. Another one that may bother some people is a low pressure in the weather because the air gets more humid and heavier and that in turn can sometimes trigger seizures and the last one I can think of is "season seizures" meaning a person can have more seizures at certain times of the yr. I have more seizures in the fall and winter because there's less serotonin outside this time of yr. but in the spring and summer I have fewer seizures because there's more serotonin. I wish you only the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hi. For me, the trigger is mostly severe stress and/or tension. My Simple or Complex Partials sometimes occur without any trigger. I have even had breakthrough seizures within hours of taking a dose of my medications!

I have more seizures in the fall and winter because there's less serotonin outside this time of yr. but in the spring and summer I have fewer seizures because there's more serotonin.

Is it possible that you have some facts turned upside down? Since serotonin has anti-metabolic effects, such as its prevalence in hibernation, it is increased in "fall and winter" and lowered in the "spring and summer" (read thru this scholarly article on the various "unhappy" effects of serotonin: do a search for "Tryptophan Side Effects: L-Tryptophan Is Far From Harmless" by Rolf Hefti).

You said too much caffeine is one for you I try and limit caffeine even though I love the stuff.

I'm ok if I drink a cup or two of coffee, I love the stuff, but if I drink it all day long then it's not good, I usually drink decaff just to be on the safe side. I really love espresso but I know it's got a lot of caffeine in it so I always get it made decaff. I'm ok with soda in the same way, a glass or so but not drinking it all day, but I stay away from sodas with high caffeine in them like Mountain Dew. There are many energy drinks out there with a lot of caffeine in them and I don't drink them. There are pills out there too that will help you stay awake, not sure what their called, but I don't take them either.

If I have a lot of caffeine one day nine times out of ten I'll have a seizure the next.

Hi. For me, the trigger is mostly severe stress and/or tension. My Simple or Complex Partials sometimes occur without any trigger. I have even had breakthrough seizures within hours of taking a dose of my medications!

I've had that happen. Where medications didn't help me at all. Then I'll have the seizures all day. Get so worn out that I sleep like the dead then.

I'm ok if I drink a cup or two of coffee, I love the stuff, but if I drink it all day long then it's not good, I usually drink decaff just to be on the safe side. I really love espresso but I know it's got a lot of caffeine in it so I always get it made decaff. I'm ok with soda in the same way, a glass or so but not drinking it all day, but I stay away from sodas with high caffeine in them like Mountain Dew. There are many energy drinks out there with a lot of caffeine in them and I don't drink them. There are pills out there too that will help you stay awake, not sure what their called, but I don't take them either.

If I have a lot of caffeine one day nine times out of ten I'll have a seizure the next.

Like you I love coffee. I don't like decaf though. I just don't drink soda at night so I'll be able to sleep. Energy drinks drain you and have loads of sugar in them.

I'm lucky. Caffeine doesn't affect me/my seizures. I drink a lot of tea & coffee--mostly tea--with milk but no sugar or sweetener. I think I don't drink coffee as much because most of my family members drank a lot of tea, & I always had to make it.

I GESS STRESS LACK OF SLEEP AND LIGHT LEVELS USUALLY DAPPLE LIGHT.flying don't help I put puke bag on me face and take handful cloberzam

Like you I love coffee. I don't like decaf though. I just don't drink soda at night so I'll be able to sleep. Energy drinks drain you and have loads of sugar in them.

I always thought I could tell the difference between regular and decaf coffee until someone gave me decaf one time and they didn't tell me until three cups later, and I drink my coffee black.

Caffeine might not be a trigger for you, everyone has different ones and sometimes seizures can just come on all on their own, this is how most of my seizures happen.

Pay attention though if you start having a lot of seizures if something is happening or going on like if you aren't getting enough sleep, over exerting yourself, going through stress, heat or anything else. There's a possibility that one of those things might be a trigger for you.

Late nights got one tonight husband train broke down in London.he bringing Chinese take away and turned his wretched mob phone off so not tell him Dont.this going be 1am and I suffer tomorrow.late nights big no no he got no extra cash pay cab I do so really force stay awake

I sleep for 1.5 to 3 hours a night since my concussion on January 17, 2015. I don't know if lack of sleep causes my seizures, but I wouldn't be surpised if it does.

I've researched typical triggers, but I cannot find a reliable, consistent source. I hide in the basement, trying to control my exposure to the environment, but I guess it's not working because I still get seizures. Ha ha ha, I guess this supports the notion that epilepsy is unprovoked.

Hope to die in the ground,
HG

Back
Top Bottom