TV and flashing lites

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cinnabar

New
Reaction score
I usually fall asleep in complete darkeness and quiet but after a night of tossing and turning in the dark (fearing I'd have a seizure - not being able to sleep (useless, I know). So, I recently took to keeping my TV on (w/ sound down) to alay the fear of that night not sleeping in complete darkenss. Though eyes are closed I wonder if the flashing of TV lights could promt a seizure. Just curious. - Laurie

Hi Laurie- I don't know for sure if it can happen, but I have often wondered about it myself and I look away when there is too much flashing on the screen. Poppy

Laurie and Poppy,
That is a question if something like that could happen. I guess we'll never know.

I don't have a link handy, but I remember reading somewhere that the body needs to sleep in the dark (no light) in order to produce all the hormones/chemicals like seratonin that are vital for brain function.

Back
Top Bottom