Twitching

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
My left eye will not stop twitching, it's driving me insane. Is this something related to epilepsy? If so is there any way to deal with this that doesn't involve either face paralyzing botox or mind numbing anti-convulsants?

this has been going on for a decade and a half now. When it first began and then continued for upwards of 10 years Doctors who i spoke to as well as friends suggested it was stress, but I am really not stressed out and I find it difficult to swallow that stress induced facial ticks would persist over more than a decade without pause.

does anyone else experience this? if so how do you handle it ?

I get twitches like that all the time. They're not localized, and they don't usually persist for more than 20-30 minutes (and that's a long one for me).

I don't really have any answers, as like you, they don't seem to be stress related. It just happens.

It's probably Blepharospasm. My eye use to do it on and off for a few years ushually lasting for a few days at a time, multiple times a month. It was always my right upper eyelid. It was sleep and stress related. Now that I get more rest and have learned to relax, it hasn't been a problem.

this is not something that anyone else can see thankfully or I would be pretty self conscious about it I think. I can sure feel it though.

Have ever had someone give you a face massage (or tried it on yourself)? It may help relax the muscles involved. And you could give a magnesium supplement a try. Whenever there's muscle spasming, jerking, twitching, etc. going on, magnesium can potentially help.

I will try the magnesium supplements, as for the facial massages yes I do that and it helps a little just not enough to make it stop. Still I appreciate the suggestion.

I read this thread a couple days ago and thought 'huh, don't think I've had that happen before'... and now today for the last 3 or 4 hours my right eye has twitched off and on. Extremely obnoxious. And I'm now pretty sure this has happend before, though never for quite as long...

Since I first posted this I have been taking magnesium supplements daily and basically taking a sort nap every time it begins. I am operating under the assumption that it is likely epileptic activity worsened by inadequate rest and possibly a magnesium deficiency. It's too soon to be able to say for sure if this is helping but if I had to say one way or another it seems less.

My eyelid sometimes twitches a little bit but it seems to happen more when I'm really tired.

Back
Top Bottom