Understanding my EEG

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I recently had a routine EEG. Everything pretty much came back how it usually does (background spikes etc, I have Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy).
However, one part that stood out in the conclusion/results was 'intermittent focal slowing in the right posterior temporal region' . I've never had this on any EEG before and I don't quite understand what it means or what could cause slowing. I only had one absence seizure during the recording. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Rachellabella1995, --

The best course is to touch base with your neuro about the EEG results, since EEG interpretation can depend on the specifics of your seizure history, age, medications and general health, as well as contextual details such as the EEG wavelength frequency (beta, delta, theta), rhythm, pace and duration of the slowing, whether you were awake or asleep (or in between) at that moment, etc.

Some kinds of focal slowing just mean that you are drowsy or on sedating medication. Others can confirm a diagnosis of temporal epilepsy. There can be all sorts of causes, and the slowing us probably nothing to worry about.

I only had one absence seizure during the recording.

Abnormal brainwaves can occur on EEG even if the person doesn't have a seizure during the procedure. There are brainwave patterns that are considered "epileptogenic" -- i.e. they indicate that an individual has a lowered seizure threshold. I've never had a seizure during an EEG (I only experience tonic clonic seizures), but my EEGs are considered abnormal because of the interictal ("between seizure") pattern that they show.

Some kinds of focal slowing just mean that you are drowsy or on sedating medication. Others can confirm a diagnosis of temporal epilepsy. There can be all sorts of causes, and the slowing us probably nothing to worry about.

But wouldn't slowing from drowsiness or medication be generalised and continuous as opposed to focal and intermittent?
I don't see my neurologist for another 5 weeks. I'm not really freaking out, more curious than anything.
Thanks Nakamova šŸ˜

Yes, medication-related slowing usually appears as generalized rather than focal. But when focal slowing is also intermittent, the focal slowing can represent the effects of a sedating med.

Focal slowing can also be caused by being in a post-seizure state, or having a migraine, or a prior non-acute injury. If the focal slowing only occurred during the hyperventilation part of the EEG and was mild, then it's less likely to be particularly significant.

Intermittent slow waves in the temporal lobe can be diagnostic of temporal lobe epilepsy. (I know that sounds obvious, but intermittent slow waves in other focal regions of the brain are not as losely associated with a specific diagnoses.)

So there can be a lot of interpretations, and your clinical history is a big factor. Keep us posted on what your neuro says!

How answer this one I had MRI scan and eeg which showed abnormalities I had another MRI scan and was seizing in the machine I felt awful my body went on to nervous impulses every where it was Was awful the scan came back normal how do that work.when I was well not hint of e it found abnormal when I actually sz in MRI thing it was normal.thankfully doctor saw it all brought it and end and explained to nuro what happened

Oh my nuro comes over from Poland every two months we not got neurologist in my back end Of England.so nuro don't give monkies arse he more interested in not missing his flight back

Back
Top Bottom